RLC Circuit Second Order Differential and Laplace

In summary, the conversation was about deriving a second order differential equation for x(t) and y(t) and finding the total response using Laplace transform. The equations involved using loops and solving for i1 in the second equation and substituting it into the first equation. There was a discussion about an error in the equation involving Rload*i2 and a correction was made by using y(t)=-Rloadi2.
goldfronts1

Homework Statement

Derive the second order differential equation relating x(t) and y(t).
Using the Laplace transform, find the total response as a function of the zero input response and the zero state response in the following form.

Homework Equations

Y(s)=Yzs(s) + Yzi(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

Loop1: Rs*i1 + 1/c integral(i1 + i2) dt = xs(t)

Loop2: 1/c integral(i1 + i2) dtau + Rload*i2 + L di2/dt = 0

Take derivatives

Loop1: R di1/dt + (i1 + i2)/C = dx/dt

Loop2: R di2/dt + L di2/dt + (i1 + i2)/C = 0

Attachments

• RLC.PNG
    RLC.PNG
    2.8 KB · Views: 537
  • laplace.PNG
    laplace.PNG
    1.5 KB · Views: 488
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.3 KB · Views: 481
Physics news on Phys.org
Try solving for i1 in the second equation and substitute into the first equation. Then use y(t)=Rloadi2 to rewrite the equation in terms of y(t).

Loop2: 1/c integral(i1 + i2) dtau + Rload*i2 + L di2/dt = 0

I believe there is an error here. If the current through the capacitor is i1 + i2, then i2 is moving counterclockwise, and we know as the current approaches the load resistor, it is approaching the negative end of y(t). Therefore, Rload*i2 should be negative. I haven't checked everything, so there could be more problems.

I think that equation is fine; it's correct if you assume i2 goes in the counterclockwise direction. But I should have said to use y(t)=-Rloadi2. I forgot the OP used the opposite direction than usual on i2.

Solve for i1 and i2 in terms of x(t) and y(t)

i1 = (C*dx/dt - L*dy/dt - R*y)/[C*(R+L) + 1]

i2 = (C*dx/dt - R*x + R*y)/[C*(R+L) + 1]

Substitute into Loop1 equation

R*C*dx/dt + (C*dx/dt - L*dy/dt - R*y)/[C*(R+L) + 1] + (C*dx/dt - R*x + R*y)/[C*(R+L) + 1] = dx/dt

Simplify and rearrange to get the second order differential equation:

d2x/dt2 + (R/L + 1/RC) dx/dt + (1/LC + R/CL) x = (1/LC + 1/CL) y

Using the Laplace transform, we can find the total response as a function of the zero input response and the zero state response as follows:

Y(s) = Yzs(s) + Yzi(s)

Where Yzs(s) is the Laplace transform of the zero state response and Yzi(s) is the Laplace transform of the zero input response.

Therefore, the total response Y(s) is equal to the sum of the zero state response and the zero input response. This can be written in the following form:

Y(s) = Yzs(s) + Yzi(s) = (Yzs(s) + Yzi(s)) / (1 + s^2(R/L + 1/RC) + s(1/LC + R/CL))

This expression can then be inverse Laplace transformed to obtain the total response y(t) as a function of the zero input and zero state responses.

Related to RLC Circuit Second Order Differential and Laplace

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is a type of electronic filter used in many applications such as in radio receivers, power supplies, and amplifiers.

2. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. In the context of RLC circuits, it is used to describe the behavior of the voltage or current in the circuit over time.

3. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve differential equations. In the context of RLC circuits, it is used to analyze the circuit's response to different inputs.

4. How is the second order differential equation of an RLC circuit solved using Laplace transform?

The second order differential equation of an RLC circuit is solved by first taking the Laplace transform of the equation. This converts the differential equation into an algebraic equation in the complex frequency domain. The resulting algebraic equation can then be solved using algebraic techniques, and the inverse Laplace transform is taken to obtain the solution in the time domain.

5. What is the natural frequency of an RLC circuit?

The natural frequency of an RLC circuit is the frequency at which the circuit will resonate, meaning the voltage or current will reach its maximum value. It is determined by the values of the inductance (L) and capacitance (C) in the circuit and is given by the formula ω = 1/√(LC), where ω is the angular frequency.