RLC Circuit Homework: Finding Voltage Sources and Solutions

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the voltage between points A, C, B, and D using the Pythagorean theorem and understanding the difference between inductive and capacitive reactance. The final answers given were 100 volts AC between A and D, 0 volts AC between A and C, 141 volts AC between B and D, and a suggestion that the answers for A and C, and B and D, should be switched.
shorteddiode

Homework Statement

See Attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Pythagorean theorem Vs= the square root of Rv squared plus (Lv-Lc) squared and came up with a voltage source of 100 volts AC. Right??
So how do I figure the voltage between A,C and B,D? I have come up blank on this one, I don't even know where to start.

Attachments

• Scan-121102-0002.jpg
    Scan-121102-0002.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 341
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the difference between inductive reactance and capacitive reactance?

OK Guys here are the answers I was given after the re-test, Thanks for all the help guys

1 source voltage 100 volts AC
2 Between A and C 0 volts AC
3 Between B and D 141 volts AC
4 Between A and D 100 volts AC

shorteddiode said:
OK Guys here are the answers I was given after the re-test, Thanks for all the help guys

1 source voltage 100 volts AC
2 Between A and C 0 volts AC
3 Between B and D 141 volts AC
4 Between A and D 100 volts AC
I say that the answers to 2 & 3 should be switched!

2 Between A and C 141 volts AC

3 Between B and D 0 volts AC

Great job using the Pythagorean theorem to find the voltage source! To find the voltage between points A and C, you can use the equation V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. You can find the current by using Ohm's law, which states that I = V/R. So, in this case, the voltage between A and C would be V = (100 V)/(10 Ω) = 10 V. To find the voltage between points B and D, you can use the same equation, but with a different resistance value. In this case, the resistance would be 20 Ω, so the voltage between B and D would be V = (100 V)/(20 Ω) = 5 V. I hope this helps!

Related to RLC Circuit Homework: Finding Voltage Sources and Solutions

What is a Series RLC Circuit?

A Series RLC (Resistor-Inductor-Capacitor) circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor, inductor, and capacitor connected in series. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices such as filters, oscillators, and amplifiers.

What is the purpose of a Series RLC Circuit?

The purpose of a Series RLC Circuit is to control the flow of current and voltage in an electrical circuit. The resistor limits the current, the inductor stores energy, and the capacitor stores and releases energy. Together, these components can create different types of responses, such as filtering, oscillation, and resonance.

What is the difference between a Series RLC Circuit and a Parallel RLC Circuit?

A Series RLC Circuit has all of its components connected in a series, meaning they are connected one after the other in a single loop. In contrast, a Parallel RLC Circuit has the components connected in parallel, meaning they are connected in multiple branches. Series RLC Circuits have a single current path, while parallel RLC Circuits have multiple current paths.

How do I calculate the impedance of a Series RLC Circuit?

The impedance of a Series RLC Circuit can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + (Xl - Xc)²), where R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance. The impedance of a Series RLC Circuit is also affected by the frequency of the input signal and the values of the components in the circuit.

What are some real-world applications of Series RLC Circuits?

Series RLC Circuits are used in a variety of electronic devices, such as radio receivers, audio amplifiers, and power supplies. They are also used in power transmission systems, where they can help regulate voltage and current. Additionally, Series RLC Circuits are used in electronic filters to remove unwanted frequencies from a signal.