RLC AC Circuit: Frequency & Impedance

In summary, impedance in an AC circuit depends on frequency for a circuit with a resistor and inductor, and a resistor and capacitor. It does not depend on frequency for a circuit with only a resistor. The rate of change of a magnetic field must be calculated using the formula dφ/dt = V = IR, where φ is magnetic flux, E is electric field, A is the area of the ring, V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.
pat666

Homework Statement

For which of the following AC circuits does impedance depend on frequency? A circuit with
Check all that apply.
a resistor and inductor.
a resistor and capacitor.
only a resistor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that for a capacitor and inductor the frequency would change the impedance but I am not sure?
thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Impedance of the resistance only does not depend on the frequency.

so I was right----- thanks--slightly off topic but I have another question
"A circular wire loop of wire has radius 2.3cm and resistance 0.045ohms . A magnetic field is perpendicular to the loop.
At what rate must the field change in order to induce a current of 1.4mA in the loop"
ie. magnetic field/change in time?

I have been searching my textbook and can't find a formula that's relevant.
Would really appreciate some help.

Magnetic flux φ = EA, where E is electric field and A is the area of ring.

dφ/dt = A*dE/dt = V = IR.

Thanls a lot rl.bhat

Related to RLC AC Circuit: Frequency & Impedance

1. What is an RLC AC circuit?

An RLC AC circuit is a circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) in series or parallel. It is used to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits that contain these three components, which are common in many electronic devices.

2. What is frequency in an RLC AC circuit?

Frequency in an RLC AC circuit refers to the number of complete cycles of the alternating current (AC) per second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and determines the rate at which the current changes direction. In an RLC AC circuit, the frequency affects the behavior of the circuit and can be adjusted using an external power source.

3. How does frequency affect the impedance in an RLC AC circuit?

The impedance in an RLC AC circuit is the total opposition to the flow of current. It is affected by the frequency of the AC source and can be calculated using the equation Z = R + j(XL - XC), where R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance. As the frequency increases, the reactance of the inductor and capacitor also increases, causing the total impedance to increase.

4. How is resonance achieved in an RLC AC circuit?

Resonance in an RLC AC circuit occurs when the inductive reactance is equal to the capacitive reactance, resulting in a net reactance of 0. This causes the impedance to be at its minimum, allowing maximum current to flow through the circuit. Resonance can be achieved by adjusting the frequency of the AC source or by adjusting the values of the inductor and capacitor to match the frequency of the source.

5. What are some real-world applications of RLC AC circuits?

RLC AC circuits are used in a variety of electronic devices, including radio and television receivers, electronic filters, and power supplies. They are also commonly used in audio systems, electric motors, and electronic amplifiers. Additionally, RLC AC circuits are used in power transmission systems to regulate the flow of electricity and prevent power surges.