Understanding Forces in Action: Solving a Physics Resolution

• Thread starter EdZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding finding the error in an equation and how to go about identifying it. The participants also discussed the importance of keeping units consistent and how it can help in checking for mistakes. The solution to the initial problem was provided along with helpful tips for future problem solving.
EdZ
Hey ppls, how r ya? i have a few questions ...

http://www.boomspeed.com/asianedz/Untitled.jpg [Broken]

yeh i have the resolution to it although it is my friends one. i dun really understand how he got it... can some1 please explain to me clearly how he did it and if the answer is right?

here are the resolution...

http://www.boomspeed.com/asianedz/Untitled2.jpg [Broken]

http://www.boomspeed.com/asianedz/Untitledm.jpg [Broken]

thanks in advance..

EdZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
first show where you got stuck (policy)
then we'll be glad to help

actually forget that one, i read it a few times over again and i understood how to do it.

but i do have one question, i was wondering

what is the procedure to find the error on an equation..

for e.g.

4.7 +- 0.5 * 45.64 +- 0.21 / 32.233 +- 0.923

what are the steps in identifying where the error is.?

The easiest way I've found is to keep the units on your numbers. (I must sound like a broken record... I've said this three times since we switched to the new forums alone)

If you are adding, all summed units must be the same.

All units must also be the same on both side of the equality sign.

sorry, i don't quite understand what your saying... can u please explain again...

sorry, :(

For example,

In your friend's solution for the first problem.

Instead of writing 20-3a=2a

write 20 N - 3kg*a = 2kg*a

You know then, that every term is the same.

It's not a big thing for a simple problem like this, but once you get more things in there, it's an easy way to check yourself.

If the units don't add up on both sides of the equal sign, you've made a mistake.

ahh ok ok... I am with u now... i thought u were talking about my other question which was to do with error analysis...

yes i will keep that in mind.. thankyou!

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its state of motion. It is typically measured in Newtons (N) and can be represented by arrows in a force diagram.

2. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change its direction or speed. They can also cause an object to deform or break if the force is strong enough.

3. What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

4. How do I calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the individual forces acting on it. This can be calculated by adding up all the forces in a given direction using Newton's Second Law: Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

5. How does Newton's Third Law of Motion relate to forces?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back. This can be seen in everyday examples such as walking (pushing against the ground) or bouncing on a trampoline (pushing against the surface).