RL Circuit Analysis: Comparing Resistor and Coil Voltages

In summary, the problem involves a circuit with a 24.0-V battery, a 5.00-mH coil, and a 6.00-V resistor. At t=0, the potential difference across the resistor is 0, and it is equal to the emf across the coil at t-->∞. It is unknown at what time the two voltages will be equal, but it is possible for them to be equal at multiple instants. When the battery is replaced with a short circuit, the potential difference across the resistor is 24.0-V at t=0 and 0 at t -->∞. The time at which the two voltages will be equal is still unknown. The general solution to
member 392791

Homework Statement

At the moment t = 0, a 24.0-V battery is connected
to a 5.00-mH coil and a 6.00-V resistor. (a) Immediately
thereafter, how does the potential difference across the
resistor compare to the emf across the coil? (b) Answer
the same question about the circuit several seconds later.
(c) Is there an instant at which these two voltages are equal
in magnitude? If so, when? Is there more than one such
instant? (d) After a 4.00-A current is established in the
resistor and coil, the battery is suddenly replaced by a short
circuit. Answer parts (a), (b), and (c) again with reference
to this new circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) V_r = 0 at t=0
b) V_r = ε at t --> ∞

V_l = V_r at t=??

I tried doing -L di/dt = IR to solve for t and it got me nowhere

d) when the battery is removed,
I got V_r = ε at t=0 and V_r = 0 at t-->∞
, and still don't know if there is a time that V_r = V_l

Physics news on Phys.org
The elements are in series, presumably.

I tried doing -L di/dt = IR to solve for t and it got me nowhere
If you can't solve a first-order differential equation, then steal someone else's solution from a textbook. The response of a first order system (whether R+L or R+C ) is something you need to practise until you can sketch the graph in your sleep.

I know how to do the differential equation

the problem is that everything canceled out and got me back to R = R.

What is the general solution to the DE with L, R and V?

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the circuit using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to determine the behavior of the circuit at different time points.

(a) Immediately after the battery is connected, the potential difference across the resistor will be equal to the emf across the coil. This is because the current in the circuit is initially zero and therefore there is no voltage drop across the resistor.

(b) After several seconds, the potential difference across the resistor will decrease as the current in the circuit increases. However, the emf across the coil will remain constant. Therefore, the potential difference across the resistor will be less than the emf across the coil.

(c) There will be an instant when the potential difference across the resistor will be equal to the emf across the coil. This will occur when the current in the circuit has reached its steady state value, which can be calculated using Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. There may be multiple instants when this occurs, depending on the specific values of the circuit components.

(d) When the battery is replaced by a short circuit, the potential difference across the resistor will be zero, as there is no longer a voltage drop across it. The emf across the coil will also be zero, as there is no longer a potential difference across it. Therefore, the potential difference across the resistor will be equal to the emf across the coil at all times in this new circuit.

In summary, the potential difference across the resistor and the emf across the coil will be equal at different times depending on the initial conditions and the behavior of the circuit. A thorough analysis using relevant equations and laws is necessary to determine these time points accurately.

Related to RL Circuit Analysis: Comparing Resistor and Coil Voltages

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in series. It is a common circuit configuration used in many electronic devices and systems.

2. How do resistor and coil voltages differ in an RL circuit?

In an RL circuit, the resistor and coil (inductor) have different voltage responses due to their unique properties. The resistor voltage follows Ohm's law, while the coil voltage follows Faraday's law of induction.

3. What is the effect of inductance on voltage in an RL circuit?

Inductance is the property of an inductor that causes it to resist changes in current flow. This results in a lag in the voltage across the inductor, known as inductive reactance. This leads to a phase shift between the resistor and inductor voltages in an RL circuit.

4. How is the voltage across a resistor and coil calculated in an RL circuit?

The voltage across a resistor in an RL circuit is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). The voltage across an inductor is calculated using Faraday's law, which states that the induced voltage (V) is proportional to the rate of change of current (I) in the inductor.

5. What are some real-world applications of RL circuits?

RL circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as power supplies, amplifiers, and filters. They are also found in electric motors, transformers, and other electrical systems. They are used to control current flow, filter out unwanted frequencies, and store energy.