RIP The Palace of Auburn Hills

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, the CNN article discusses the demolition of The Palace of Auburn Hills, the former home of the Detroit Pistons. Along with sports events, the venue also hosted concerts, including performances by artists such as The Eagles, Dire Straits, David Bowie, and Eric Clapton. The conversation also mentions the proximity of the speaker's apartment in Canada to Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, where they saw hockey legend Wayne Gretzky play.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just saw this today:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/11/us/pistons-palace-demolished-trnd/index.html

For 15 years I lived in Canada and less than one mile from Detroit. I never went to see the Pistons play at The Palace of Auburn Hills (I did see Gretzky play the Wings at Joe Louis), but I did go with friends to see a number of concerts there, including The Eagles, Dire Straits, David Bowie, and Eric Clapton.

Good memories.

Likes mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw The Great One skate circles around the Wings in Joe Louis Arena once. It was late in his career but was still awesome to watch.

Borg said:
I saw The Great One skate circles around the Wings in Joe Louis Arena once. It was late in his career but was still awesome to watch.
I just checked the distance on Google Maps. As the crow flies, my apartment in Canada was 980 metres (0.61 miles) from Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

I grew up about 20 miles west of there.

1. What caused the Palace of Auburn Hills to close?

The Palace of Auburn Hills was closed due to the construction of the new Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. The owner of the Detroit Pistons, Tom Gores, decided to move the team to the new arena, making the Palace of Auburn Hills no longer needed.

2. How long was the Palace of Auburn Hills open?

The Palace of Auburn Hills opened in 1988 and closed in 2017, making it operational for 29 years. It was the home arena for the Detroit Pistons for 29 seasons.

3. What was the capacity of the Palace of Auburn Hills?

The Palace of Auburn Hills had a maximum capacity of 22,076 for basketball games and 23,000 for concerts. It was known for its large seating capacity and being one of the largest arenas in the NBA.

4. What events were held at the Palace of Auburn Hills?

The Palace of Auburn Hills hosted a variety of events, including concerts, sporting events, and other entertainment events. It was the home arena for the Detroit Pistons, and also hosted the 1989 NBA Finals, 2004 NBA Finals, and 2005 NBA Finals.

5. What will happen to the land where the Palace of Auburn Hills was located?

The land where the Palace of Auburn Hills was located has been purchased by a real estate developer, and there are plans to redevelop the site into a mixed-use development, including retail, residential, and office space. This will provide opportunities for economic growth and revitalization in the area.

Back