Circuit Help (Kirchoff's I Believe)

• Thread starter i_hate_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a 10V source that goes into a three way junction shaped like a diamond, with a branch going through the diamond. The task at hand is to find the voltage at each resistance and the current at each of the five resistances. The person has been struggling with this problem for two hours and has attached a picture in paint. They are seeking help on how to attach the file and a suggestion is given to use an img tag. The person also mentions their screen name and receives a good luck message from another forum member.
i_hate_physics
I have a circuit with a 10V source that
goes into a three way junction that makes
shape of a diamond with a branch going
through the diamond

I'm supposed to find the voltage at each resistance
and the each current there are five of them

I've been on this problem for two hours.

I've attached a picture made in paint.

Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
how do you access the attachment?

just trying to attach a file, I'm new to this

If you're still struggling, I think you can put in an ordinary img tag and place the graphic in your post. Make it a small graphic. May want to check with the Big Boss of this forum first.

Your screen name, while admirable, is probably not the wisest choice for a forum peopled with MANY LARGE-BRAINED PHYSICISTS who just LOVE the evil subject. ha, ha!

Good luck. They have helped me, just keep at it.

1. What is Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and how does it relate to circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's Current Law, also known as the junction rule, states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must be equal to the total current leaving the junction. This law is important in circuit analysis as it helps to determine current flow and voltage drops in a circuit.

2. How do I apply Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law, also known as the loop rule, states that the algebraic sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. To apply KVL, you must assign a direction for current flow in each loop and use the polarities of components to determine whether the voltage is positive or negative. Then, you can set up an equation and solve for the unknown variables.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, components are connected in a single path, so the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple paths, so the total current is divided among the branches. Additionally, in a series circuit, the voltage drops across each component add up to the total voltage of the circuit, while in a parallel circuit, the voltage drops are the same across each branch.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance of a series or parallel circuit?

For a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. For a parallel circuit, the reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of each individual resistance. In other words, you can add resistances in series, but you must use the reciprocal formula for resistances in parallel.

5. Can Kirchoff's laws be applied to AC circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's laws can be applied to AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, the currents and voltages are constantly changing, so they are represented by complex numbers and phasors. The concepts of KCL and KVL still apply, but the equations and calculations become more complex.