Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ring and cosets

StefanM

Jan 30, 2012
I'm trying to list the cosets of the following ring and describe the relations that hold between these cosets.
R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x])
I'm using the division algorithm since x^2+1 is monic in the ring Z_4[x].Now for every f that belongs to Z_4[x] by the division algorithm
f=(x^2+1)q(x)+p(x)=>the cosets are of the the form...a*x+b+I where I is an ideal generated by x^2+1.
x^2+1=0 in the quotient=>a new ring where multiplication between cosets A+I and B+I is is defined by (A+I)(B+I)=(AB)+1 where the relation x^2+1=0 exists
Is is ok?[FONT=MathJax_Math][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math][/FONT]

Swlabr

Feb 21, 2012
Re: Ring and cosest

I'm trying to list the cosets of the following ring and describe the relations that hold between these cosets.
R=Z_4[x]/((x^2+1)*Z_4[x])
I'm using the division algorithm since x^2+1 is monic in the ring Z_4[x].Now for every f that belongs to Z_4[x] by the division algorithm
f=(x^2+1)q(x)+p(x)=>the cosets are of the the form...a*x+b+I where I is an ideal generated by x^2+1.
x^2+1=0 in the quotient=>a new ring where multiplication between cosets A+I and B+I is is defined by (A+I)(B+I)=(AB)+1 where the relation x^2+1=0 exists
Is is ok?
They way I would think about the elements of the quotient ring is much the same way that you would think about the elements of, say, $\mathbb{Z}/4\mathbb{Z}$. This is because they are "essentially" the same thing - you have the same division algorithm, etc.

So, every coset has a (unique!) representative of the form $ax+b$. So when you multiply $(A+I)(B+I)=AB+I$ then you do the division algorithm on $AB$ to get an element of the form $ax+b$ with $ax+b=AB\text{ mod }x^2+1$.

Does that make sense?

StefanM

Jan 30, 2012

So I need to apply the division algorithm on (AB)+I.....ok

Swlabr

Feb 21, 2012

So I need to apply the division algorithm on (AB)+I.....ok
Essentially, yes. For example, $(x+I)\cdot (x+1+I)=x^2+x+I=x-1+I=x+3+I$, as you know that $x^2=-1\text{ mod }I$ because $x^2+1\in I$