Rigid Body: Rotation of a coordinate axes made up of rods

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rigid body consisting of three uniform rods. The angular momentum and kinetic energy of the body are to be found as it rotates about different axes. The parallel and perpendicular axis theorems are suggested to find the moment of inertia tensor for the system. The formula for angular momentum and kinetic energy are provided to be used with the values found for the moment of inertia tensor. Finally, it is mentioned that the moment of inertia is the same for any axis passing through the center due to the symmetry of the moment of inertia tensor.
^_^physicist

Homework Statement

A rigid body consists of three uniform rods each of mass, and length 2a, held mutually perpendicular at their midpoints (choose and axis along the rods).

a) Find the angular momentum and kinetic energy of the body if it rotates with angular velocity w about an axis passing through the origin, and for passing though a point (1,1,1).

b) Show that the moment of inertia of inertia is the same for any axis passing through the center

c) prove the results of example 9.11 (ignore this one...I think I can do it without a problem).

Homework Equations

Products of inertia (I_xx, I_yy, I_zz, I_xy, I_xz, I_yz). to determine moment of intertia tensor

L= w*I(tensor).

Kinetic Energy= all rotational kinetic energy so: T_rot = 1/2* (I_xx*(w_x)^2 + I_yy*(w_y)^2 + I_zz*(w_z)^2 + 2*I_xy*w_x*w_y+2*I_xz*w_x*w_z +2*I_yz*w_z*w_y).

The Attempt at a Solution

If I could figure out the inertia tensor, I am set on my way; however, I am hung up. I have thought about using the parrell and perpendicular axis theorems to take advantage of the fact that all portions of the form are constucted from the three perpendicular rods; however, I am not sure how to do this.

I did, however, make an attempt using the parallel axis theorem:

I_cm=ma^2=I_z. I_cm= 1/12ML^2 which implies=> I_3= (4*a^2*m)/3, and similarly for I_1. Noting that I_2 is the axis of rotation, for the first portion, I_2=0. I_total=(8a^2*m)/3.

I would much rather use the products of inertia instead however.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your post. Here are some suggestions for finding the moment of inertia tensor for this system:

1. Start by drawing a diagram of the system and labeling the three rods as A, B, and C.

2. Use the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia for each rod about its own center of mass.

3. Then, use the perpendicular axis theorem to find the moment of inertia for each rod about an axis perpendicular to its length.

4. Finally, use the parallel axis theorem again to find the moment of inertia for each rod about the axis passing through the center of the system.

5. Add all of these individual moments of inertia together to find the total moment of inertia tensor for the system.

As for the other parts of the problem, for part a) you can use the formula for angular momentum and kinetic energy provided in the post, and plug in the values you found for the moment of inertia tensor.

For part b), you can show that the moment of inertia is the same for any axis passing through the center by using the fact that the moment of inertia tensor is symmetric. This means that the values of I_xx, I_yy, and I_zz are the same for any axis passing through the center.

I hope this helps you with your problem. Good luck!

Related to Rigid Body: Rotation of a coordinate axes made up of rods

1. How does a rigid body rotate?

A rigid body rotates when a force is applied to it, causing it to move around a fixed axis or point. This rotation is characterized by the change in orientation of the body's coordinate axes.

2. What are the factors that affect the rotation of a rigid body?

The rotation of a rigid body is affected by its mass, distribution of mass, and the force applied to it. The direction and point of application of the force also play a role in determining the rotation.

3. How is the rotation of a rigid body measured?

The rotation of a rigid body is measured in terms of angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration. These quantities describe the change in orientation, speed, and rate of change of speed of the body's coordinate axes, respectively.

4. Can the rotation of a rigid body be predicted?

Yes, the rotation of a rigid body can be predicted using mathematical equations such as Euler's equations or Newton's laws of motion. These equations take into account the various factors that affect the rotation of a rigid body.

5. How is the rotation of a rigid body used in real-world applications?

The rotation of a rigid body is used in many real-world applications such as aviation, robotics, and sports. For example, understanding the rotation of a plane's wings is crucial for safe and efficient flight, and the rotation of a robot's joints is important for precise movements. In sports, rotation is utilized in activities such as figure skating, gymnastics, and diving.