Rigid body rotation near galactic center

In summary, the conversation discusses equating the expression for centripetal acceleration with gravitational acceleration to show that the central parts of the galactic rotation curve are consistent with rigid body rotation. The conversation also touches on the relationship between mass and radius and the attempt to show that velocity is proportional to radius.
clandarkfire

Homework Statement

Equate the expression for centripetal acceleration with the gravitational acceleration to show that the central parts of the galactic rotation curve are consistent with rigid body rotation.

The attempt at a solution
Say a star near the galactic center has mass m and the rest of the mass inside its orbit has mass M. Then:
[tex]F=ma=\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]a=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{GM}{r^2}=\frac{v^2}{r}\Rightarrow{v^2} \propto{r}[/tex]
But what I want to show is that v is proportional to r, not that v^2 is proportional to r. What have I done wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi clandarkfire! :smile:

M is proportional to … ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi clandarkfire! :smile:

M is proportional to … ? :wink:

I'm actually not sure. If it's proportional to r (seems reasonable), I get [tex]G \propto {v^2}[/tex], which seems pretty nonsensical.
If it's r^2 or r^3, I still don't think I get [tex]r \propto v[/tex], which is what I'm looking for.

clandarkfire said:
I'm actually not sure. If it's proportional to r (seems reasonable), I get [tex]G \propto {v^2}[/tex], which seems pretty nonsensical.
If it's r^2 or r^3, I still don't think I get [tex]r \propto v[/tex], which is what I'm looking for.
Try r^3 again, and if it still fails please post your working.

It appears that you have made a small mistake in your calculation. The equation for centripetal acceleration is a= \frac{v^2}{r}, not a= \frac{GM}{r^2}. Therefore, the correct equation should be:

a= \frac{v^2}{r} = \frac{GM}{r^2}

This shows that the centripetal acceleration is equal to the gravitational acceleration, which is consistent with rigid body rotation. The proportionality between v and r can be seen by rearranging the equation to v= \sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}.

In conclusion, your approach is correct, but you have made a small error in the equation for centripetal acceleration. Keep in mind to always double check your calculations to avoid any mistakes.

Related to Rigid body rotation near galactic center

1. What is rigid body rotation near the galactic center?

Rigid body rotation near the galactic center refers to the movement of a solid object, such as a planet or star, that maintains a fixed shape and orientation as it orbits the central mass of a galaxy. In this type of rotation, all particles within the object move at the same angular velocity.

2. How is rigid body rotation different from other types of rotation?

Rigid body rotation is different from other types of rotation, such as differential rotation, because it involves the entire object rotating at the same speed and in the same direction. In differential rotation, the angular velocity varies at different points within the object.

3. What causes rigid body rotation near the galactic center?

Rigid body rotation near the galactic center is primarily caused by the gravitational force of the central mass of the galaxy. This force acts on all particles within the object, causing them to move in a circular or elliptical path around the center.

4. How does rigid body rotation affect the structure of galaxies?

Rigid body rotation plays a significant role in shaping the structure of galaxies. It helps to maintain the distinct spiral arms of disk galaxies and can also influence the formation and evolution of galactic bulges and bars.

5. Can rigid body rotation near the galactic center be observed?

Yes, rigid body rotation near the galactic center can be observed through various methods such as measuring the velocities of stars or gas clouds within a galaxy. These observations can provide valuable insights into the dynamics and structure of galaxies.