What Is the Angular Velocity of a Complex Rigid Body Assembly?

In summary: I got 4.32 rad/s for final angular velocityIn summary, the rigid body assembly consists of a 15 Kg disk, an 8 Kg slender rod, and a 4 Kg sphere. The radius of the disk is 0.4 m and the length of the rod is 1.2 m. The assembly is released from rest at the horizontal position and rotates 90° down to the vertical position. Using the conservation of energy equation, the angular velocity of the assembly is found to be 4.32 rad/s. The inertia of the disk is 1.2, the inertia of the rod is 1.28, and the inertia of the sphere is 4.
spdowind

Homework Statement

The rigid body assembly is made from a 15 Kg disk, an 8 Kg slender rod, and a small 4 Kg sphere. The radius of the disk is R = 0.4 m and the length of the rod is L = 1.2 m. The pivot O is at the center of the disk. The assembly is released from rest at the horizontal position shown. Find the angular velocity of the assembly when it rotates 90° down to the vertical position.
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4544/problemtp.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

COE: K1+UG1= K2+UG2
Inertia equations for particle, rod, and disk.

The Attempt at a Solution

I Found Inertia for disk, rod, and sphere seperatedly, with I disk = 1.2, I rod = 1.28 , I sphere= 3.2
Then I use reference point as the horizontal line it started, therefore UG1 are all zero. So my energy equation look like:
0= K2+ UG2
0= 1/2 (I)w^2 + UG2rod + UG2sphere
0= 1/2 (5.68) w^2 + (-0.2) (8) (g) + (-0.8) (4) (g)
I got 4.07 for w, angular velocity.
The answer is 4.32. I don't see what I am doing wrong. I did Irod= Icm + md^2 for rod inertia since its parallel axis theorem.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
spdowind said:
I Found Inertia for disk, rod, and sphere seperatedly, with I disk = 1.2, I rod = 1.28 , I sphere= 3.2
Show how you found the inertia of the sphere.

Doc Al said:
Show how you found the inertia of the sphere.

Idisk= 1/2 ( MR^2) = (1/2) ( 15) (0.4) (0.4)= 1.2

Irod= 1/12 ( ML^2)+ Md^2= 1/12 (8)(1.2)(1.2)+ 8(0.2)(0.2)= 1.28

Isphere= MR^2= 4 ( 0.8)^2 = NOT 3.2

I see haha thanks so much man I knew i messed up one place, i forgot to square the R for Inertia for sphere.

1. What is the definition of rigid body dynamics?

Rigid body dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the motion of objects that are considered to be rigid, meaning that their shape and size do not change during motion. It involves analyzing the forces and torques acting on a rigid body to predict its motion.

2. What are the key assumptions in rigid body dynamics?

The key assumptions in rigid body dynamics include:

• The body is considered to be rigid, meaning it does not deform or change shape during motion.
  • The body moves in a three-dimensional space.
  • The forces acting on the body do not change its mass or inertia.
  • The motion of the body is described by its translational and rotational motion.

3. What is the difference between translational motion and rotational motion?

Translational motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around a fixed axis. In rigid body dynamics, both types of motion are considered when analyzing the overall motion of a rigid body.

4. How do you calculate the forces and torques acting on a rigid body?

The forces and torques acting on a rigid body can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of equilibrium. This involves identifying all external and internal forces and torques acting on the body and using equations to determine their magnitudes and directions.

5. What are some real-world applications of rigid body dynamics?

Rigid body dynamics has many practical applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. Some examples include analyzing the motion of vehicles, predicting the behavior of structures under different loads, and understanding the dynamics of machinery and mechanical systems.