Right Triangles within a right triangle. (Trig)

In summary, the height of the mountain above a level plain is 32 degrees. One thousand feet closer to the mountain along the plain, it is found that the angle of elevation is 35 degrees. Estimate the height of the mountain at 5,807.655 feet.
LordofDirT
"To Estimate the height of a mountain above a level plain, the angle of elevation to the top of the mountain is measured to be 32 degrees. One thousand feet closer to the mountain along the plain, it is found that the angle of eleveation is 35 degrees. Estimate the height of the mountain."

First I drew the picture out and constructed a straight vertical line 1000ft from the vertex. I labeled the unknown part of the triangle's base as x-1000. From there I can find all the side lengths of the small right triangle using the trigonometric ratios. I know that the smallest right triangle is similar to the the one with side x, but I don't know how to apply this in finding the height (y), of the right triangle (mountain).

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Find all the angles for the two inner triangles.
2. Then use the sine rule. There's several ways to solve for the height.
3. Also, could you post a picture because I do not think you're drawing the diagram correctly. The two triangles are not similar because the angles are different i.e. 32 degrees and 35 degrees.

There are three triangles.

1. The biggest triangle with the height, and the longest hypotenuse and the angle 32 degrees.
2. The left most inner triangle (which is not a right triangle) with a base side of 1,000 ft and the angle 32 degrees.
3. The right most inner triangle (which is a right triangle) with angle 35 degrees and a base of x-1000 ft, where x is the base side of the largest triangle.
Edit: Yes, you are not drawing it correctly, since it says that "One thousand feet closer to the mountain along the plain" the 1000 ft should be along the plain i.e. horizontally not a "straight vertical line 1000ft from the vertex".

Last edited:
Yeah, I think its confusing the way i said it. But I don't have the technology with me for a picture. I would think that there would be one more triangle...implied.

if the vertex was the 32 degree angle and I moved horizontally 1000 ft, and plotted that with a point on the base. And drew a line vertically from that angle until it intersects the hypotenuse of the larger triangle, it should create a triangle with 32 degree angle and base of 1000 ft. Shouldn't this triangle be similar with the bigger triangle with angle 32 degrees and base x?

Give me a moment, I'm going to try the problem again...

The picture is not the point- do what konthelion suggested:

What are the angles of that smaller inside triangle? You are already given one and it's easy to find the other two. With that information, you can use the "sine law" to find the two unknown lengths. Now, you know the length of the hypotenuse of the inner right triangle and so can use trig functions to find the height.

ok, I believe I got it.

I used the law of sines (which i just learned) and found the hypotenuse of the 35 degree right angle by using a/sinA=b/sinB=c/sinC. Since c/SinC is 1000/sin3, I used this as a ratio to find the length of side a;

a/sin32 = 1000/sin3,

a=(1000sin32)/sin3 = 10,125.33834

then I find the length of y by sin35 = y/10,125 and found y to equal approximately 5,807.655ft.

Look correct?

I just checked the answer in the back of the book, and I was right on.

Thanks, especially to konthelion for his time.

Cool. That's the same answer I ended up with, too.

This will also work

h = (1000 * tan32 * tan35) / ( tan35 - tan32)

Related to Right Triangles within a right triangle. (Trig)

1. What is a right triangle?

A right triangle is a type of triangle that has one angle measuring 90 degrees. The other two angles are acute, meaning they measure less than 90 degrees.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.

3. How do you find the missing side of a right triangle?

There are three main trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent) that can be used to find missing sides or angles in a right triangle. To find the length of a side, you would use the appropriate trig function and solve for the missing side length.

4. What is SOH-CAH-TOA?

SOH-CAH-TOA is a mnemonic device used to remember the trigonometric ratios for right triangles. SOH stands for "Sine equals Opposite over Hypotenuse," CAH stands for "Cosine equals Adjacent over Hypotenuse," and TOA stands for "Tangent equals Opposite over Adjacent."

5. How do you use trigonometry to solve real-life problems?

Trigonometry is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation to solve real-life problems involving right triangles. For example, it can be used to calculate the height of a building or the distance between two points. By using the trigonometric functions and the given information, we can solve for the unknown sides or angles and apply it to real-life situations.