Right Hand rule to find direction of the force

In summary: The magnetic field in the first example is to the east, so the current flows in the same direction as the field. In the second example, the current flows in the opposite direction of the field.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8453/untitleddt6.jpg

Imagine that current flow from east to west. what is the direction of the force on the current when the magnetic field B is (i) to the East and (ii) Vertically up?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done a bit of research mainly from this website http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magfor.html but I am still unclear about how to go about the question.

For (i) the magnetic field is to the east, so my fingers are to the right hand side, but my thumb is in the direction of the velocity. Where exactly is the velocity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know where you got velocity from... (might be something but i can't remember learning anything on it to do with this) and i can't seem to manage to relate the question the the image..

if you hold your palm flat down on a table top and have your thumb at a rightangle with all your fingers (each of your fingers that isn't a thumb, =\ is parallel)
your thumb is in the direction of the current.
your fingers are pointing in the direction of the magnetic field and if there was an arrow shooting out of the palm of your hand, it would be pointing in the direction of the force.

so your question asks (im going to ignore the image because I am not sure what you're asking) the current flow from east to west.

the first one (im not sure if I am right here so someone correct me if I am wrong)
has the current flowing in the same direction as the field applied. so there will be no resulting force

second one, position your hand, in the form i stated above somewhere, so that your fingers (magnetic field) point to the sky and your thumb points to the west. I am geographically impaired so you're going to have to figure out which direction, north or south, that an arrow shooting out of your palm is going to point.

i hope this helps..

Is there a reason you have to use [tex]\vec{F_B}=q\vec{v}\times\vec{B}[/tex] rather than [tex]\vec{F_B}=i\vec{L}\times\vec{B}[/tex]?

Related to Right Hand rule to find direction of the force

1. What is the "Right Hand Rule" used for?

The "Right Hand Rule" is a mnemonic device used to determine the direction of a force acting on a moving charged particle in a magnetic field.

2. How does the "Right Hand Rule" work?

To use the "Right Hand Rule", you must first orient your right hand so that your thumb points in the direction of the velocity of the charged particle. Then, your index finger should point in the direction of the magnetic field, and your middle finger will point in the direction of the force acting on the particle.

3. Is the "Right Hand Rule" always accurate?

Yes, the "Right Hand Rule" is a universally accepted method for determining the direction of the force acting on a charged particle in a magnetic field. It is based on the laws of electromagnetism and is always accurate.

4. Are there any variations of the "Right Hand Rule"?

Yes, there are variations of the "Right Hand Rule" depending on the type of force being considered. For example, the "Right Hand Palm Rule" is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire.

5. Can the "Right Hand Rule" be used for other types of forces?

No, the "Right Hand Rule" is specifically designed for determining the direction of the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field. Other types of forces, such as gravitational or electric forces, require different methods for determining their direction.