What is considered a sin and immoral behavior?

• Thread starter DR OF DEATH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
Judge? In summary, the conversation discusses various moral issues such as murder, rape, theft, animal cruelty, premarital sex, and homosexuality. The group agrees that murder, rape, and theft are sins or immoral acts, while there is debate on premarital sex and homosexuality. In general, the group believes that actions that harm others are considered immoral. There is also discussion on the concept of boundaries and who has the right to judge what is right or wrong.
hey, there is plenty of references in the bible that support slavery, racism, sexist POV's and plain out hatred.

But that doesn't stop people from reading it, I'm sure accusing left handers of being evil will not stop it either.

edit:

Anything about ambidextrous (Spelling? Meaning ppl who use both hands to an equal degree) people? Are they kinda like bi-polar sinner/good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Dissident Dan
Umm, since when is quantum physics self-evident. And you did not address the business example. Anyway, regardless of the analogousness of any example, the point is that people agreeing on something has no bearing on truth, hence you cannot say that there is no such thing as right or wrong because people don't or will never agree on it.

okay, QM is not quite self-evident. but we know it exist because we can utilize it in technology and observe some of its effects. (most of which we predicted we'de be able to see before we observed it.

Originally posted by megashawn
hey, there is plenty of references in the bible that support slavery, racism, sexist POV's and plain out hatred.
Hey, there are plenty of references in the Bible that suggest this was the prevailing view at the time, that indeed this was the era in which they lived. So?

But that doesn't stop people from reading it, I'm sure accusing left handers of being evil will not stop it either.
Actually there are many more references in the Bible that refer "to the right" and, "also to the left," suggesting that which is all inclusive and perhaps "wholeness."

edit:

Anything about ambidextrous (Spelling? Meaning ppl who use both hands to an equal degree) people? Are they kinda like bi-polar sinner/good?
I would suggest it means more rounded and hence "complete."

I believe a true outline that can cover every sin is the 10 Commandments. If you think about it, most of the times, we do seem to try to keep everyone else from the murder, stealing, and adultry part. But don't we also enforce our children to not lie(that's the part about baring flase witness), honer the parent, and so forth?

-CubeX

Why is adultery a sin?
Adultery only makes sense in a society where there is monogamous relationships. Monogamy isn't a given. Its only a given in our society because of our christian heritage.

So, a cheating on your wife isn't a sin? What about thinking dirty thoughts about a little girl or just watching your best friend's wife's butt as she walks away?

-CubeX

Well, its a "Sin", but I thought we were trying to figure out what is right and wrong now, as opposed to what is a 'sin' in the eyes of God...

So no, I don't think it is inherently wrong to commit adultery... But I do think it is wrong to commit yourself to a person, promising that you are something/are going to do something/will never do something etc, and then not live up to those devout promises. I think that that is wrong. But instantly assuming that individuals must enter monogomous relationships is not part of the deal.

The other two: No, I don't think thinking things is wrong. I think all sorts of terrible things. That doesn't make me terrible, it just means my brain likes to conjure up all sorts of abstract ideas. I choose to not enact those ideas on a daily basis. But at least in thinking them, I get an insight into a whole world of potentials, and I get to analyse why it is exactly that I would never do such a thing, and why it is that other people might do those things etc...

Watching your best friends wifes Butt...sure, what's wrong with appreciating something attractive? If we can't look at the beautiful things in life, then life isn't worth living.