Is the Scientific Process really used by scientists?

In summary: The "Scientific Process" is a checklist that scientists use to help them conduct experiments and develop theories.
split
The "Scientific Process"

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, and I just want to start by saying that it's really great and I've gained a lot of knowledge and insight.

I have a minor question regarding this so-called "scientific method" that is taught so often in K-12 schools and is usually the first thing mentioned (along with the measurement systems) in most textbooks.

Is it really used? Do scientists who are conducting experiments and developing theories go through the scientific process checklist? I would think that to most people those steps would come naturally after experimenting. If this is true, then why do the teachers hand out worksheet after worksheet about it instead of having the student do experiments to develop the skills? Is this just bad teaching?

Oh, I guess I will include a diagram of what I mean by this scientific method. Here is the one shown in Biology by Sylvia S. Mader, published my McGraw-Hill.

The Scientific Process

Observations ->
Previous data ->
Formulation of hypothesis ->
Observations and/or experiments ->
New data ->
Conclusion -> (Go to hypothesis, or)
Theory

That's not the best "diagram," but it illustrates the basic idea.

Thank you,

Mike Nolan
www.zx.ath.cx[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to swear to a possible youngster but if you're a scientist or attempting to discover any truth you damn well better use the scientific method.

Absolutely every scientist interested in discovering truth uses it. I use it every single day and never break from it.

Yes it becomes "second nature".

What you described below is a great start.

Why they don't have you do experiments is subject to the schools budget and the teachers interest.

A teacher who could not possibly care less about your class experience will hand out flier after flier and never show you a damn thing themself.

A teacher that has interest will take you through it in actuality.

If you're in a public school (which I bet my life you are) this is the case.

U.S. public schooling is truly tragically horrible.

If you have any questions about science ask here please!

I just started bio. a few days ago at my high school. It's the first real science class I've had, and it seems GREAT! I'm really looking forward to it. I'll sign up at your forums, maybe I'll learn something. Eventually, I may even be able to teach others. :smile:

Anyway, thanks for the answer. It's good to get answers from people who have experience.

Mike Nolan
www.zx.ath.cx[/URL]

What is the scientific process?

The scientific process is a systematic and organized approach to conducting research and acquiring knowledge. It involves observation, experimentation, and analysis to develop and test hypotheses, and ultimately, to gain a better understanding of the natural world.

What are the steps of the scientific process?

The steps of the scientific process may vary slightly depending on the field of study, but generally include: making observations, asking a question, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. The process often involves repeating these steps until a solid understanding of the topic is achieved.

Why is the scientific process important?

The scientific process is important because it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the natural world and make evidence-based decisions. It helps us to identify and test hypotheses, and ultimately, to separate fact from fiction. Through the scientific process, we can also build upon existing knowledge and make new discoveries.

What are the key components of a good scientific experiment?

A good scientific experiment should have a clear and testable hypothesis, a well-designed and controlled experiment, and reliable data collection methods. It should also have a sufficient sample size, a control group for comparison, and a detailed analysis of the results. Additionally, a good experiment should be repeatable by other scientists to ensure the validity of the findings.

How does the scientific process contribute to the advancement of society?

The scientific process has contributed greatly to the advancement of society by providing us with a better understanding of the world around us. Through scientific research and experimentation, we have been able to develop new technologies, medicines, and solutions to problems. The scientific process also helps us to make informed decisions about important issues, such as climate change and public health, by providing us with reliable and accurate data.