How did ancient scientists measure the size of the Earth?

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, an ancient scientist used a shadow cast method to calculate latitudes. There is a theory that someone used gravity and sand to bring an obelisk into place.
quddusaliquddus
There are things that scientists of past had worked out - but we don't know exactly how they did so. If you know any post here please.

E.G.
I don't remember exactly, but it goes sumfin along the lines of an ancient Greek scientist who measured angles of shadows (or is that the duration in time) simultaneously in two places very far apart in Egypt during an eclipse- somewhere in the north and far south I tink. He used this to work out some measurement about the sieze of the Earth or latitudes or something. I'd assume he had a companion...but that could be wrong (?)
NO-NONE KNOWS HOW HE DID IT.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for that, but after reading it i found its not him. I'm sure whoever it was, did it in Egypt. I think there was definitely a case of simultaneous masurement. I am too lazy to think about the physics of it, but i think maybe he got sum1 to measure the shadowcast on a vertical rod while there was a full ecplise where he was. Using the shadow cast over there, he somehow calculated the latitudes or sumfin...

sorry about how crappy my descript is ... jus can't remember ... >:|

People definitely DO NOT know how he did it ... that's y our physics teacher mentioned him to us

The Egyptians did many things that we cannot duplicate yet with similar tools. We don't know:

How the Egyptians moved and placed an 80 ton block of granite in the middle of the pyramids. There are theories, but none have been demonstrated successfully yet.

How they cut inside coved corners and drilled two foot deep 2" diameter holes in solid granite blocks using copper and wood tools (both softer than granite).

Thanks for that Artman ... didn't know about the drillin ...

I don't remember - but did the Mesoamerican people have an advanced calendar - one that would need use of telescope - but they didnt have a telescope? ... not sure about that one.

quddusaliquddus said:
Thanks for that, but after reading it i found its not him. I'm sure whoever it was, did it in Egypt. I think there was definitely a case of simultaneous masurement. I am too lazy to think about the physics of it, but i think maybe he got sum1 to measure the shadowcast on a vertical rod while there was a full ecplise where he was. Using the shadow cast over there, he somehow calculated the latitudes or sumfin...

sorry about how crappy my descript is ... jus can't remember ... >:|

You might want to get yourself a world atlas. Alexandria and Syene are located in Egypt.

You're right. Hmm...was it Eratosthenes? ... it could be. The unexplained bit is probably the length he calculated using caravan trails.

Last edited:
Artman said:
The Egyptians did many things that we cannot duplicate yet with similar tools. We don't know:

How the Egyptians moved and placed an 80 ton block of granite in the middle of the pyramids. There are theories, but none have been demonstrated successfully yet.

How they cut inside coved corners and drilled two foot deep 2" diameter holes in solid granite blocks using copper and wood tools (both softer than granite).

I believe another mystery is how they were able to get these massive monumental obelisks in place. There is a cool theory that someone used in NOVA that used gravity and sand. The obelisk is brought into position (at a large angle) and is cushioned on a large amount of sand positioned in a dug-out chamber. The sand slowly filters through an opening near the bottom of the chamber and gravity eases the obelisk into place.

I don't get the obelisk one...

Another cool one is this map found in Russia. It was believed to be about 120 million years old covered with a relief map of the Ural mountains. The real interesting thing is that the map consists of three layers: the base is dolomite, the second layer is a diopside glass that can't be duplicated today and the whole thing is covered with a ceramic coating. The map is created in the glass layer and is, according to researchers, obviously done by machine. Also, relief maps are usually created today by observations done from the air, so how did they do this 120 million years ago?

Here is a link to the map.

Ancient Map

cool. will check it out

1. How did they discover/invent/create it?

The discovery/invention/creation of something often starts with a question or problem to be solved. Scientists then conduct research, experiments, and observations to gather information and data. This data is then analyzed and conclusions are drawn, leading to the discovery/invention/creation of the new idea or technology.

2. What methods or tools did they use?

Scientists use a variety of methods and tools depending on the nature of their research. Some common methods include conducting experiments, making observations, creating models, and using computer simulations. Tools can range from simple laboratory equipment to advanced technology such as microscopes and telescopes.

3. How long did it take to do it?

The amount of time it takes to make a discovery or invention varies greatly and can depend on many factors such as the complexity of the subject, the availability of resources, and the collaboration between scientists. Some discoveries or inventions may take years or even decades to develop, while others may be made relatively quickly.

4. What challenges did they face?

The process of making a discovery or invention is not always smooth sailing. Scientists often encounter challenges such as unexpected results, competing theories, and limited resources. Overcoming these challenges requires critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and perseverance.

5. How does it impact our daily lives?

The impact of a discovery or invention can vary greatly depending on the subject. Some may have a direct impact on our daily lives, such as new medical treatments or technology, while others may have a more indirect impact, such as advancements in understanding the natural world. Regardless, all discoveries and inventions contribute to the progress of human knowledge and have the potential to shape our future.