Riemann Criterion for Integrability - Stoll: Theorem 6.17

In summary, Stoll's Theorem 6.17 states that if a function is bounded and continuous on a closed interval, and has a finite number of discontinuities, then it is Riemann integrable on that interval. This means that the function can be divided into smaller subintervals and the sum of their areas under the curve will converge to a finite limit as the subintervals get smaller. This theorem is important in the study of integration and allows for the calculation of definite integrals in a precise and efficient manner.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Manfred Stoll's book: Introduction to Real Analysis.

I need help with Stoll's proof of Riemann's Criterion for Integrability - Stoll: Theorem 6.17

Stoll's statement of this theorem and its proof reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3941In the above proof we read the following:

" ... ... Conversely, suppose \(\displaystyle f\) is integrable on \(\displaystyle [a,b]\). Let \(\displaystyle \epsilon \gt 0\) be given. Then there exist partitions \(\displaystyle \mathscr{P}_1\) and \(\displaystyle \mathscr{P}_2\) of \(\displaystyle [a,b]\) such that

\(\displaystyle \mathscr{U}( \mathscr{P}_2 , f ) - \int^b_a f \lt \frac{ \epsilon }{2}\) ... ... ... (3)\(\displaystyle \int^b_a f - \mathscr{L}( \mathscr{P}_1 , f ) \lt \frac{ \epsilon }{2}\) ... ... ... (4)

... ... "My problem is that I am concerned as to why exactly (3) (4) follow ... ...

(I know they seem plausible ... but what is a rigorous argument to say they hold ... )Presumably (3) (4) follow because

\(\displaystyle \overline{\int^b_a}f = \text{inf} \{ \mathscr{U}( \mathscr{P} , f ): \mathscr{P} \text{ is a partition of } [a,b] \}\)

and

\(\displaystyle \underline{\int^b_a}f = \text{sup} \{ \mathscr{L}( \mathscr{P} , f ): \mathscr{P} \text{ is a partition of } [a,b] \}\)

and, further that

\(\displaystyle \int^b_a f = \underline{\int^b_a} f = \overline{\int^b_a} f
\)

Is this correct?

However ... ... even if this is correct I am concerned to see an rigorous and exact explanation of why (3) and (4) above are true ...

Can someone please help?

Peter
So MHB members who are interested can follow the notation and definitions behind this post I am now providing the first basic elements of Stoll's presentation of the the theory of integration ... as follows ... ...
View attachment 3942
View attachment 3943
View attachment 3944
View attachment 3945

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

It follows from that, if the Riemann integral exists, then both infimum and supremum must exist and be equal to the integral.

Now take a paper, write down the infimum definition and the statement you want to prove, move your head a little bit away and realize they are the same. ;)

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

It follows from that, if the Riemann integral exists, then both infimum and supremum must exist and be equal to the integral.

Now take a paper, write down the infimum definition and the statement you want to prove, move your head a little bit away and realize they are the same. ;)
Yes ... probably overthinking this issue ...

Thanks Fallen Angel ...

Peter

Peter said:
Yes ... probably overthinking this issue ...

Thanks Fallen Angel ...

Peter
Hi again Fallen Angel ...

Your post sent me searching my various texts for definitions and propositions concerning supremums and infimums to ensure I understod the notions and what they implied ...

One of the books was Matthew A. Pons book: Real Analysis for the Undergraduate ... and ... after his definition of a supremum we find Lemma 1.2.10 and some remarks on it and the proof ... ! .. just what I wanted ...

I am now studying the remarks and the proof ...

For the interests of MHB members, here is the definition followed by Lemma 1.2.10 and its proof ...
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3946
View attachment 3947I think Lemma 1.2.10 thoroughly clarifies the issue ...

My admiration for Pons as a rigorous and clear text just went up a notch ...

Peter

Related to Riemann Criterion for Integrability - Stoll: Theorem 6.17

What is the Riemann Criterion for Integrability?

The Riemann Criterion for Integrability, also known as Stoll's Theorem 6.17, states that a function is Riemann integrable if and only if it is bounded and has a set of discontinuity points of measure zero.

How does Stoll's Theorem 6.17 differ from the Riemann Criterion?

Stoll's Theorem 6.17 is a more generalized version of the Riemann Criterion, as it takes into account functions with discontinuities. This allows for a wider range of functions to be classified as Riemann integrable.

What is meant by "bounded" in Stoll's Theorem 6.17?

In this context, "bounded" means that the function is limited and does not approach infinity or negative infinity at any point in its domain.

What does "discontinuity points of measure zero" refer to in Stoll's Theorem 6.17?

"Discontinuity points of measure zero" refers to points in the function's domain where it is not continuous. However, the set of these points must have a measure of zero, meaning that they must be isolated points and do not contribute significantly to the overall behavior of the function.

How is Stoll's Theorem 6.17 used in practice?

Stoll's Theorem 6.17 is used to determine whether a function is Riemann integrable, which is important in many mathematical and scientific applications. It allows for a more efficient and accurate way to evaluate integrals and calculate areas under curves.