Riding a Ferri wheel physic problem(help)

In summary, a student weighing 656 N is riding a Ferris wheel at its highest point where the normal force N from the seat is 581 N. The magnitude of N at the lowest point can be calculated using the equations F = (mV^2)r and a = v^2/r. If the wheel's speed is doubled, the magnitude of N at the highest point will also double, while the magnitude of N at the lowest point will quadruple. The equation -581 - 656 = 66.939(-a) is not valid if Fn = a, so this problem is solved.
SkyRequiem

Homework Statement

A student of weight 656 N rides a steadily rotating Ferris wheel (the student sits upright). At the highest point, the magnitude of the normal force N on the student from the seat is 581 N. (a) What is the magnitude of N at the lowest point? If the wheel's speed is doubled, what is the magnitude FN at the (b) highest and (c) lowest point?

Homework Equations

F=(mV^2)r a=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

here are my "guesses", becuase i am so confused...
Fn is same as the centripetal acceleration, which is doward to the center of the wheel.
m=66.939 Fg = 656N
-581-656=66.939(-a) what I don't get is that if Fn= a, then this equation is not valid, i mean 581=a? I used this equation becuase it looks like the one in the textbook, but I didnt really get the equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
this problem is solved, so nvm

1. What forces are involved in riding a Ferris wheel?

When riding a Ferris wheel, there are two main forces at play: the force of gravity and the normal force. The force of gravity pulls us towards the center of the earth, while the normal force acts in the opposite direction and keeps us from falling out of the Ferris wheel.

2. How does the height of the Ferris wheel affect the physics of the ride?

The height of the Ferris wheel does not have a direct impact on the physics of the ride, but it does affect the potential energy of the riders. The higher the ride, the greater the potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy as the ride moves.

3. Why do we feel weightless at the top of the Ferris wheel?

At the top of the Ferris wheel, the normal force is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a net force of zero. This creates the sensation of weightlessness, as our bodies are not being pulled in any particular direction.

4. How does the speed of the Ferris wheel impact the ride experience?

The speed of the Ferris wheel affects the centripetal force, which is responsible for keeping riders moving in a circular motion. A faster speed will result in a greater centripetal force, making the ride feel more intense.

5. Can you calculate the centripetal force of a Ferris wheel?

Yes, the centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the rider, v is the speed of the ride, and r is the radius of the circular motion. However, this calculation can vary depending on the specific design and mechanics of the Ferris wheel.