Ridiculous to think that light is the only static

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light particles traveling at a constant speed relative to an observer's frame of reference. The idea of light being the only static entity in the universe is considered, along with the possibility of space-time itself being made up of photons. The conversation also addresses the fear of being criticized and the difficulty of understanding abstract concepts. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that no one can fully explain why light behaves the way it does and that photons can be infinitely packed into a finite space due to their nature as bosons.
BohrringPlank
This isn't a statement or theory, i simply need help on understanding a topic. Light particles are always traveling at the same speed relative to you, even if you are moving, is it ridiculous to think that light is the only static thing in the universe and it is light that we move towards. Maybe someone could help me understand why light does this or explain why my ponderring is wrong. I haven't developped my static light idea so go easy on me with the criticism.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
BohrringPlank said:
This isn't a statement or theory, i simply need help on understanding a topic. Light particles are always traveling at the same speed relative to you, even if you are moving, is it ridiculous to think that light is the only static thing in the universe and it is light that we move towards. Maybe someone could help me understand why light does this or explain why my ponderring is wrong. I haven't developped my static light idea so go easy on me with the criticism.

I wouldn't say that light is static, but neither it has a "speed". I think that what we call speed is more likely a property of light. It's like when you think about electric charge (or other forces as well): you could wonder "Why don't electrons exhaust their charge? Where is their source ?" Even in this case I think about forces as properties of the related particles.

Anyway it's only from the point of view of a photon that things get "weird": to it time is frozen, but it interacts anyway...

I was watching an internet live feed from CERN when this theoretical physicist explained that Photons could be inifnatly crammed into a box without filling it. Yet don't photons have a mass or volume like other particles?
Is space-time itself just photons, my mind is often a blur when trying to reason with myself but it would seem appropriate that the fabric of space-time is photons, maybe someone could explain why it isnt.

Btw, the reason i am constantly asking for answers is because of fear of making a statement that would probably be crushed by someone

Lets say you're moving at 0.25c and a light ray comes at you from behind. Instead of thinking that the actual wavefront its moving towards you at 0.75c think that the peaks of the wave pass you more slowly. In this effect the relative frequency decreases instead of it's velocity.

No one can explain why light always travels at c -- it just happens to be a feature of this universe.

And yes, you can pack an infinite number of photons into a finite volume, because photons are bosons -- there is no exclusion principle that prevents many of them from occupying the same quantum state.

- Warren

Btw, the reason i am constantly asking for answers is because of fear of making a statement that would probably be crushed by someone

No ones here to crush you. As long as your statements are factual that is :smile:

Light has no rest mass (although it does have energy so that it appears to have gravitational mass). As for volume, I'm not sure how one would define "volume" for any elementary particle, much less light.

Well this is why i made that point about it being the fabric of space-time, if space time were made up of such particles as photons then there would be no volume for it, hmm i am poor at explaining myself, yet its the only way in my mind i can justify that photons can be infinatly packed into a finite amount of space.

You said you were thining of photons as particles. Try thinking of the photons as a collection of waves and packing them into a finite space sounds a little less absurd.

Ahh, thanks, I was having trouble, that seems more feasible.

Related to Ridiculous to think that light is the only static

What does it mean when we say "light is the only static"?

When we say that light is the only static, we mean that light is the only thing that can travel at a constant speed in a vacuum. This is known as the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

Why is it considered ridiculous to think that light is the only static?

It is considered ridiculous because there are other substances and particles that can travel at a constant speed, such as sound waves in certain mediums and subatomic particles. Additionally, the theory of relativity suggests that the speed of light is not constant in all frames of reference.

What is the significance of the speed of light?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It is a fundamental constant in many equations and theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity. It also helps us measure distances in space and time, and is used in various technologies, such as GPS systems and fiber optic communication.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely, making it impossible to surpass the speed of light. This is known as the cosmic speed limit.

How do we know that the speed of light is constant?

The constant speed of light has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. One of the most famous is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that light travels at the same speed in all directions, regardless of the motion of the observer. This has been further supported by the results of other experiments, such as the double-slit experiment and the measurement of the speed of light using lasers.