Newton's Second Law: Help with Homework - 11 Character Puzzle Answer

• Thread starter danrak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with their girlfriend's son's crossword puzzle homework. They are looking for the answer to a question that involves Newton's Second Law and has 11 characters with the 6th being an L. The answer is "normal force" and the conversation also discusses how this relates to the person sitting in a chair.
danrak
Ok. I'm talking with my girlfriend right now and her little boy is having problems with his homework. I can't figure it out and remembed this site being posted at at sitepointforums.com so I was hoping someone here could help. The homework consists of doing a crossword puzzle. She was able to help him with all of it, but one question. That question is:
when you sit in a chair, it excerts-------------against you.

It is supposed to be something from Newton's Second Law, and is 11 characters and the 6th character should be an L.

If anyone can lend a helping hand, I would be extremely greatful and I'm sure she will be too. I hope this type of post is ok. Thank you anyone for their knowledge and help.

Opps, I just saw the homework help section. Can someone move it there? sorry about that. Got so excited I finaly found a place to ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
2 words
NORMAL FORCE.
Your body exerts a force on the chair. And we know that F=ma. If there is a force, there should be an acceleration, yet you sit put.
The chair exerts an equal and opposite force(called the normal force) on the person sitting in the chair.
Hope this helps besides giving you the answer.

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate.

2. What is the formula for Newton's Second Law?

The formula for Newton's Second Law is F = ma, where F represents the net force applied to an object, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the resulting acceleration.

3. How is Newton's Second Law related to the first and third laws?

Newton's Second Law is related to the first and third laws in that it builds upon them. The first law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's Second Law explains what happens when an external force is applied to an object. The third law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Newton's Second Law explains the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, which is necessary to understand the equal and opposite reaction described in the third law.

4. How is Newton's Second Law applied in everyday life?

Newton's Second Law can be applied in various situations in everyday life. For example, when driving a car, the force applied by pressing on the gas pedal will result in an acceleration of the car. Similarly, when pushing a shopping cart, the amount of force applied will determine how quickly it moves. Understanding this law can also help in sports, such as throwing a ball or swinging a bat. Additionally, engineers and designers use this law when creating structures, machines, and vehicles.

5. How can I use Newton's Second Law to solve problems?

To solve problems using Newton's Second Law, you must first identify the forces acting on the object and determine the net force by adding or subtracting the individual forces. Then, use the formula F = ma to calculate the resulting acceleration. You can also rearrange the formula to solve for mass or acceleration if needed. It is essential to pay attention to units when using this formula, as force is measured in Newtons (N), mass is measured in kilograms (kg), and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).