Ricci form and Kahler manifolds

In summary, the Ricci curvature tensor, Ricci scalar Ric, and the Ricci form are all related to the Ricci tensor, but have different indices. The Calabi-Yau manifold is just a Ricci-flat manifold.
OB1
I am confused about the different Ricci-named objects in complex and specifically Kahler geometry: We have the Ricci curvature tensor, which we get by contracting the holomorphic indices of the Riemann tensor. We have the Ricci scalar Ric, which we get by contracting the Ricci tensor. Then there is a Ricci form, and I don't see how it is at all different from the Ricci tensor (apart from it not having any indices - how can it be a 2-form without having indices?), and finally the *other* Ricci scalar R, which we get by contracting the Ricci form.
Finally, we have the Calabi-Yau manifold, which we get by taking a "Ricci-flat" Kahler manifold. and I can't figure out for the life of me is which of these Ricci-named objects vanishes for a Ricci-flat manifold. Help in unraveling this ridiculous confusion is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ricci flat manifolds are manifolds for which the ricci tensor vanishes. The Ricci tensor is symmetric, but by introducing multiplication by i we can get an alternating form on a Kahler manifold.

For Calabi-Yau, you should just take Ricci-flatness to mean the usual thing, but of course if one vanishes, the other does as well.

Well, the Ricci curvature tensor R is symmetric and it is an object with 2 lower indices, but these indices are used to represent R with respect to a coordinate. As it has two lower indices it is cotensor of rank 2, so we need to feed it with 2 vectors.

We can represent R without coordinates (thus without any indices), and then we can feed it with 2 vectors, say V and W. Then R(V,W) gives us a scalar. Now R being symmetric just means that R(V,W) = R(W,V).

The Ricci-form, say F, is related to R and the complex structure J defined on the manifold:

F(V,W) := R(J V,W)

That's all. Now it is antisymmetric, thus it is a differential form. In this notation the Ricci form F indeed has no indices, but it CAN be represented with respect to a coordinate. Then it is again a symbol with 2 lower indices.

Ricci-flatness means R = 0. Then automatically F and the Ricci scalar (say r) are zero also.

Representing V and W in terms of a complex basis of the tangent space reveals that it is equivalent to multiplying with i. If V is a holomorphic vector, and if W is an antiholomorphic vector, then:

F(V,W) = R(J V,W) = R(i V,W) = i R(V,W) = i R(W,V) = R(i W,V) = R(-J W,V) = -F(W,V)

For a nice analogy, see the Kahler form: A Hermitian metric g defines a Kahler form w(V,W) = g(J V,W).

So, to answer this question:

OB1 said:
(apart from it not having any indices - how can it be a 2-form without having indices?)

Every tensor, cotensor, mixed tensor and n-form can be represented with respect to a basis of the tangent (& cotangent) space. In that case it has 'indices'. But, they can also be represented in a coordinate-free way.

It's a pity mathematics is represented in a bit obscure manner in many texts & lectures about physics.

Related to Ricci form and Kahler manifolds

1. What is the Ricci form of a Kähler manifold?

The Ricci form of a Kähler manifold is a closed (1,1)-form, which means it has type (1,1) and is closed under exterior differentiation. It can be seen as a generalization of the Ricci curvature tensor in Riemannian geometry, and it encodes information about the curvature of the manifold.

2. How is the Ricci form related to the Kähler metric?

The Ricci form is closely related to the Kähler metric, which is a Hermitian metric that is compatible with the complex structure of the manifold. In fact, the Ricci form can be expressed in terms of the Kähler metric and its derivatives, and the Kähler metric can be reconstructed from the Ricci form.

3. What is the significance of the Ricci form in Kähler geometry?

The Ricci form plays a central role in Kähler geometry as it encodes important geometric information about the manifold. For example, the vanishing of the Ricci form is a necessary and sufficient condition for the manifold to be Kähler-Einstein, which has important implications in both mathematics and physics.

4. How is the Ricci form used in studying Kähler manifolds?

The Ricci form is used in various ways to study Kähler manifolds. It is used to define and characterize different types of Kähler metrics, such as Kähler-Einstein metrics, and it also plays a key role in understanding the topology and geometry of Kähler manifolds. Additionally, the Ricci form is used in the construction of new Kähler metrics and in proving important theorems in Kähler geometry.

5. Can the Ricci form be used to distinguish between different Kähler manifolds?

Yes, the Ricci form can be used to distinguish between different Kähler manifolds. Just like the Ricci curvature tensor in Riemannian geometry, the Ricci form is a curvature invariant that can be used to distinguish between different manifolds. In particular, the Ricci form can be used to classify Kähler manifolds up to biholomorphic equivalence.