Help with second part of question

• Thread starter jlmac2001
  • Start date
In summary, the proper mean lifetime of a muon is 2.00 ms, but when traveling at .96c, the mean lifetime as measured in the laboratory is 7.1428 ms. To calculate how far they would travel before decaying, one can either ignore relativity and use the muon's frame of reference, or take into account the effects of relativity in the lab frame of reference. Both methods should give the same answer.
jlmac2001
I'm stuck on the second question of the following problem:

The proper mean lifetime of a muon is 2.00 ms. Muons in a beam are traveling a .96c.

What is their mean lifetime as measured in the laboratory?

ans. 2.00ms/sqrt(1-.960^2)= 7.1428 ms

How far would they travel, on average, before they decay?

ans. I don't know how to do this part. Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Jessica

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two ways to do this and they should give the same answer:

1) Ignore relativity (or think of this as "in the muon's frame of reverence). The muon is moving at .98 c and has a lifetime of 2 ms= 0.002 seconds. Convert .98 c into "meters per second" and multiply by 0.002.

2) You have already calculated that the muon will have a lifetime, measured in the lab frame of reference of 7.1428 ms= 0.0071428 seconds (although I'm a little suspicious of your accuracy!). This is, of course, because, in the lab frame, the muon is "aging" slower.
Multiply 0.0071428 by .98c and then, whatever length you get, apply the same tranformation to determine the shrinkage due to the motion. You should see the sqrt(1-c^2]) terms cancel to give the same answer as before.

, to find the distance traveled before decay, we can use the formula d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity (in this case, 0.96c), and t is the time (in this case, the mean lifetime of 7.1428 ms). Plugging in the values, we get d = (0.96c)(7.1428 ms) = 6.8574 m. Therefore, on average, the muons would travel 6.8574 meters before decaying. I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

1. What is the purpose of the second part of the question?

The purpose of the second part of the question is to further clarify and expand upon the topic or issue being discussed. It allows for a more detailed and specific response, providing a deeper understanding and analysis.

2. How does the second part of the question contribute to the overall research or study?

The second part of the question plays an important role in the research or study by helping to guide and focus the investigation. It helps to narrow down the scope and identify key areas of interest, leading to a more comprehensive and insightful analysis.

3. Can the second part of the question be skipped or ignored?

No, the second part of the question should not be skipped or ignored. It is an integral part of the inquiry process and neglecting it could result in incomplete or inaccurate findings. It is important to address all aspects of the question in order to fully understand the topic at hand.

4. How can I effectively approach the second part of the question?

To effectively approach the second part of the question, it is helpful to break it down into smaller components and analyze each one individually. This can help to identify any connections or patterns between the different parts and provide a more thorough understanding of the topic. It is also important to carefully consider the wording and context of the question to ensure a comprehensive and relevant response.

5. Are there any specific strategies or techniques to use when addressing the second part of the question?

There are various strategies and techniques that can be used when addressing the second part of the question. Some examples include brainstorming, conducting further research, using critical thinking skills, and seeking input from others. It is important to find a method that works best for you and adapt it to the specific question at hand.