Should wrestling be banned for its violent and vulgar nature?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, Saint and Russ_watters disagree about the morality and civility of professional wrestling. Saint believes it should be banned, while Russ_watters thinks it is immoral but still civilised. Saint also thinks that if you have the remote control you are in charge and can choose what to see. Saint also says that south park is better than WWE because it has intelligence and social commentary. Dx and Zero agree that professional wrestling is one of the idiotic things on TV, and that the old-school pro wrestling was much better than the modern style.
Saint
I watched it in TV. IT is violent, full of fights and vulgar words.

I think wrestling is immoral and uncivilised.
It should be banned !

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Saint

It should be banned !
Clarification: what you were watching on TV wasn't wrestling. Wrestling is one of the purest sports known to man.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Clarification: what you were watching on TV wasn't wrestling. Wrestling is one of the purest sports known to man.

russ, you and I agree! Wait while I check my heart...no...its still beating.

The stuff we see on TV, even though everyone knows it is staged, I think is still a sad comment on the viewing public. I guess this is really just a modern, washed down version of the Roman Gladiators. Nothing new under the sun eh? Still, since the whole thing is staged, I guess we have actually improved some since the Romans.

It should be banned !

so are the news..., and thay're not banned
I think if you have the remote control you are in charge and you can choose what to see.
anyway I'm more of a Discovery/Animal Planet fan...

It should be banned !
Would you take measures to control this activity if you were in a postition of power? It sounds like you would, to me.

It should be banned !

Depends if your talking about high school or pro wrestling. If its pro don't worry a lot of it is fake anyways besides its no more uncivilized than other programs on tv ie. soaps and southpark.
:wink:

I think WWE shows like Smackdown are some of the best entertainment on the tube. They have clown act plus soap opera plus social satire wrapped up in the scripts, and offer cathartic value. I get all my innate naughtiness out of my system watching just that one show. And you do get to see some wrestling moves, if you pay attention. Performers like Brock Lesnar and Curt Angle are awesome. And Undertaker is fantabulous, Rey Misterio... So on and so on. Always remember, it's a show.

P.S. I don't buy their pay-per-views. I'm too cheap and not all THAT interested!

Last edited:
Wrestling is one of the most idiotic things on TV...what an shame that people waste time they could be reading a bookm, watching such nonsense. The worst of it is, is that they sell that dreck to children!

Originally posted by Dx
Depends if your talking about high school or pro wrestling. If its pro don't worry a lot of it is fake anyways besides its no more uncivilized than other programs on tv ie. soaps and southpark.
:wink:

hey man, there's nothing wrong with south park... just because they said sh:t 160 times in one episode, and actually had a counter for it, there's actually some intelligence and social commentary to it.

or at least a lot more than there is in wwe or whatever it's called this week. the old-school pro wrestling like when hulk hogan was in his prime was much better than it is now, with ridiculous costumes and acts. a lot of those guys are athletic enough, they should be putting their talents to use instead of whoring them away to cheezy entertainment.

and i always wondered, how do they choose who's going to "win"?

Zero says something about "idiotic things on TV". It is the bulk of the other entertainment programming on TV that is idiotic (meaning, worth turning off). I won't even get into the category of "painfully boring".

jb says ""how do they choose who's going to "win"?""
It's World Wresting Entertainment. That means scripts, plotlines, development of overarching themes. But sometimes things are allowed to take their own course. In the long run, who really cares?

what happened to wwf and wcw?

WWF bought WCW I am guessing this was because the WWF was "layin the smack down" in the ratings and the WCW wherent doing very well financially. WWF where forced to change the name to WWE because the other WWF (the one that protects the animals) didnt like the wrestling company using the same name.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Wrestling is one of the purest sports known to man.

Yeah, wrestling shouldn't be banned.

Honestly, is there any other sport where you can find two scantily clad men, drenched in sweat, exerting all their energy in a vigorous struggle to gain control over each other's bodies?

Well if there is, it's no longer illegal in Texas!

eNtRopY

HAHAHAHA

Maybe your not such an A$$hole after all.

I wouldn't go that far.
hehehe

eNtRopY

1. Should wrestling be considered a sport or entertainment?

This is a highly debated topic in the world of wrestling. While some argue that it is a legitimate sport with athletic and technical elements, others view it as purely entertainment with predetermined outcomes. Ultimately, the classification of wrestling depends on personal perspective and the specific type of wrestling being discussed.

2. Is wrestling too violent and dangerous for participants?

Wrestling, like any physical sport, carries a risk of injury. However, proper training and safety protocols can help minimize these risks. It is also important to note that most wrestling organizations have strict rules and regulations in place to ensure the safety of their participants.

3. Does watching wrestling promote aggressive and violent behavior in viewers?

There is no clear evidence to support the claim that watching wrestling leads to aggressive behavior in viewers. While the nature of the sport may appear violent and aggressive, it is important to remember that it is a staged performance and not a real competition. The responsibility lies on the individual viewer to understand the difference between entertainment and reality.

4. Are there any positive aspects of wrestling that outweigh its negative aspects?

Wrestling has been shown to have many physical and mental benefits, such as improved strength, coordination, and self-confidence. It also provides a sense of community and camaraderie among participants and fans. These positive aspects should not be overlooked when discussing the potential drawbacks of the sport.

5. Should there be more regulations and oversight in the world of professional wrestling?

There are already various rules and regulations in place for professional wrestling, but some argue that more oversight and stricter guidelines should be enforced. Others argue that the theatrical and dramatic elements of wrestling should not be interfered with and that it is ultimately up to the individual to decide if they want to participate in or watch the sport.