Rewriting an expression what math operation did my teacher do?

In summary, the conversation is about rewriting an expression and determining the math operation that the teacher did. The initial expression had a mistake with a missing "C" in the denominator, which was later corrected. The operation involved dividing the numerator and denominator by RLC.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Rewriting an expression...what math operation did my teacher do?

I'm trying to see how did my teacher rewrite this expression in the following manner:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/equationnnn.jpg/

What mathametical operation did he do? I really can't see it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you definitely copied it correctly? If the S2 term in the denominator were S2/C then it would seem that he divided the numerator and denominator by RLC.

Simple algebraic manipulation, dividing the numerator by RCL and also the denominator.

He forgot 1/C in the denominator for S^2.

It looks straightforward to me. Initially, there is "SL" in the numerator while after the "operation" there is "S/RC". So the "S" is left alone and we have divided the numerator by 1/LRC. Dividing the denominator by that same 1/LRC gives (RLS^2+ LS+ R)/RLC= S^2/C+ S/RC+ 1/LC, almost what you have. Either your teacher accidently dropped the "C" dividing S^2 or there is some physical reason (you don't say, but I would guess this is an "LRC circuit equation) why that can be done although it does not look likely.

You guys are right, I miscopied! It's RLCS^2 and not RLC^2 at the denominator of the first expression..oops. Thank you, though, because saying what mathmatical operation he did cleared it out for me :-) I re-solved it and got the same answer he did!

Related to Rewriting an expression what math operation did my teacher do?

1. What does it mean to rewrite an expression?

Rewriting an expression means to change the way that a mathematical statement is written while keeping the same value or meaning. This can involve rearranging the terms or using different mathematical symbols.

2. Why would my teacher ask me to rewrite an expression?

There are a few reasons why your teacher may ask you to rewrite an expression. One reason is to practice and improve your algebraic skills. Another reason is to make the expression easier to read or to solve a specific problem.

3. How do I know which math operation my teacher did when rewriting an expression?

To determine which math operation your teacher did when rewriting an expression, you can look for patterns or rules in the way the expression was changed. For example, if the expression was simplified by combining like terms, your teacher likely performed addition or subtraction.

4. Can I use any math operation to rewrite an expression?

Yes, you can use any math operation to rewrite an expression as long as the value or meaning of the expression remains the same. However, some operations may be more helpful or efficient depending on the specific expression you are working with.

5. Is there a correct or incorrect way to rewrite an expression?

As long as the value or meaning of the expression remains the same, there is no correct or incorrect way to rewrite an expression. However, there may be more simplified or efficient ways to write the expression depending on the context or purpose.