Rewind Stator Winding Alternator | Insulation Materials Needed

In summary, for rewinding an automotive alternator, you will need to insert a 'U' shaped section of thin sheet insulation material into each slot of the stator. Then, wind rectangular coils and knock them into the slots until all coils are in place. You can use enamelled copper wire with thermal setting insulation and heat the winding to glue it in place. For insulation, you can use electrical insulation fiber paper, fish paper, or Nomex-410 insulation paper. The cloth material seen in the photos is used to insulate the copper winding from the steel body.
souky101
I want to rewind the stator winding of an automotive alternator.
Want insulation materials I need for that ?

Thanks for help

Sam

Engineering news on Phys.org
It will depend on how it was done previously.
You will probably need to put a 'U' shaped section of thin sheet insulation material into each slot of the stator.

Then wind rectangular coils that can be knocked into the 'U' slots progressively until all the coils are in place. If you can get copper wire with thermal setting insulation, you can heat the winding to glue it in place once you are happy with the windings.

As @Baluncore explained it depends on how it was done previously. However, I'll like to share some points. Usually, enamelled copper wire is used with the alternator. You simply need some sort of insulation paper or clothes for this purpose. You can use any of the following:
  1. Electrical Insulation Fiber Paper Fish Paper This usually comes in the size 20" x 20" x .01"
    s-l1600.jpg
  2. Nomex-410-Insulation-Paper-10mil-thick-0-25mm-5-25-034-w-continuous-sheet
    s-l1600.jpg
And here is the way you can insert in in:
F5O1H64GA1BGG0Z.MEDIUM.jpg

In a nutshell, you simply need an insulation foil for providing insulation.

Likes jim hardy
Thanks for your reply.
In the third photo I can see some kind of cloth material inserted in each slot to insulate the copper winding from the steal body.

What type of this cloth material used ?

Thanks for help.

Sam

Related to Rewind Stator Winding Alternator | Insulation Materials Needed

1. What is a rewind stator winding alternator?

A rewind stator winding alternator is an electrical machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It consists of a stator, which is the stationary part, and a rotor, which rotates inside the stator. The stator winding is responsible for producing the alternating current (AC) output of the alternator.

2. When do I need to rewind the stator winding of an alternator?

The stator winding of an alternator may need to be rewound if it becomes damaged or worn out. This can happen due to various reasons such as overheating, voltage surges, or wear and tear over time. Rewinding is also necessary if the alternator is being upgraded or modified for a different application.

3. What are the insulation materials needed for rewinding a stator winding alternator?

The insulation materials needed for rewinding a stator winding alternator include insulating varnish, insulating tapes, insulating paper or sheet, and insulation sleeves. These materials are used to protect the wires and coils of the stator winding from damage and ensure proper functioning of the alternator.

4. Can I use any type of insulation material for rewinding a stator winding alternator?

No, it is important to use insulation materials that are specifically designed for electrical applications. These materials are tested and approved for their insulating properties and are able to withstand the high temperatures and electrical stresses that occur in an alternator. Using improper insulation materials can lead to malfunctions and potentially dangerous situations.

5. Is rewinding a stator winding alternator a difficult process?

Rewinding a stator winding alternator requires specialized knowledge and skills in electrical engineering. It can be a complex and time-consuming process, and it is recommended to be done by a professional with experience in handling alternators. Attempting to rewind an alternator without proper training and equipment can result in damage to the alternator and potential safety hazards.