Revtex and Refworks, citations not showing up

• Thread starter Messenger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Citations
In summary, the individual is having trouble getting their citations to show up in their paper using the RevTex template. They have tried importing a .txt file from Refworks, renaming it to a .bib file, and editing the template to reflect this change. However, when they use the \cite command, they get a [? ] instead of their citation. They are also unsure of how to "run" the bibtex file and ask for suggestions. Later, they mention finding a solution to their issue and explain that they had an empty \bibliography{} entry in their directory that was causing the problem.
Messenger
Hi,
I am attempting a first paper using Revtex. I have been writing the paper and it is just about the way I want it, and I am going back through and putting in my citation references. I can't find an answer to this anywhere within RevTex or Refworks, so thought I would give here a shot.

cannot get my citations to show up:

am using TexStudio as the editor

import a .txt file from Refworks into same directory as .tex file and rename it to a .bib file

edited the Revtex template to reflect this name in the \bibliography{}

use the command \cite{RefWorks:#} where # denotes the number as shown in the .bib file

open up the .bib file in TexStudio and see the contents

When I start typing in the \cite command, TexStudio (I assume) picks up on this and shows me a list of \cite{RefWorks:#} available

When I run the .tex file, I get a [? ] instead of my citation

am very newbie at this

Note, the RevTex faq states:
While in the directory containing the TeX files, run the following:

latex file.tex
bibtex file (creates the .bbl file)
latex file.tex (runs latex on the .tex and .bbl files together)
latex file.tex (second run of latex corrects the citations)
BibTeX will have created a .bbl file. When submitting to APS or AIP journals, we ask that you include the final .bbl directly into the main .tex file.

But I see no .bbl file. How do I "run" the bibtex file?

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hate when people solve their issue and don't come back to state why. Fills up the intertubes. As a note on what I was doing wrong:

The main error was that when I was using Quickbuild for my original writing of the paper, for some reason there was a .bib file within my directory that had the same name as my .tex file. The APS template had an empty \bibliography{} entry and even though I specified a different file in the \bibliography{filename} later it was attempting to use an original default file (it created I surmise) to build my bibliography. I deleted it and on the next quickbuild it correctly inserted my references.

Related to Revtex and Refworks, citations not showing up

1. Why are my citations not showing up in my Revtex document?

In order for citations to show up in a Revtex document, you need to make sure that you have properly formatted your references and that you have inserted the correct citation commands in your text. If these steps are done correctly, then your citations should show up without any issues.

2. How do I properly format my references in Revtex?

To properly format references in Revtex, you need to use the BibTeX format. This format uses a specific structure for references, including author names, publication year, title, and other relevant information. Make sure to follow the BibTeX format guidelines when entering your references.

3. What are the correct citation commands to use in Revtex?

The two main citation commands used in Revtex are "\cite" and "\citep". The "\cite" command is used for in-text citations, while the "\citep" command is used for parenthetical citations. Make sure to use the correct command for each citation in your document.

4. I am using Refworks to manage my references, but they are still not showing up in my Revtex document. What could be the issue?

If you are using Refworks to manage your references, you need to make sure that you have exported your references in the BibTeX format. Refworks has an option to export references in this format, so double check that you have selected this option before exporting your references.

5. My citations are showing up as question marks in my Revtex document. How can I fix this?

If your citations are showing up as question marks, it means that Revtex is unable to find the corresponding references in your document. Make sure that your references are properly formatted and that you have inserted the correct citation commands. If the issue persists, try re-importing your references or manually entering the citation information in your document.