Revolving Around a Star: Calculating an Orbital Period

In summary, the conversation discusses the period of a planet's revolution around a star with a mass 100 times that of the sun. By comparing the period of the Earth's revolution with the given mass and radius, it can be determined that the period of the other planet is one tenth of the Earth's period, approximately 36.5 days. The person also shares their experience with this question in an exam and questions where they may have gone wrong.
danago
Gold Member
A star has a mass approximately 100 times that of our sun. If a planet with the same mass as the Earth is oribiting at a radius similar to that of the Earth's radius around the sun, how long would it take the planet to revolve around the star once?

Ok, the period of the Earth's rotation is given by:
[tex]
T_e = \sqrt {\frac{{4\pi ^2 r^3 }}{{Gm_e}}}
[/tex]

If the radius remains the same, and the mass increases by a factor of 100, the period in comparison to the Earth's period is given by:

[tex]
T_p = \frac{1}{{10}}\sqrt {\frac{{4\pi ^2 r^3 }}{{Gm_e}}}
[/tex]

Comparing these two, we see that [tex]T_p = \frac{1}{{10}}T_e [/tex]

If the period of the Earth's revolution around the sun is 1 year i.e. 365 days, then the period of the other planet is one tenth of that i.e. 36.5 days.

It was an exam question and that was my working, and i got no marks for it. Where have i gone wrong?

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me... only thing that maybe could be seen as a mistake is that you used "me"... with the subscript e... giving the impression that you might mean mass of the earth... instead of mass of the sun.

But your answer looks right... I'd talk to the prof and ask him...

Ooops didnt mean to write m_e, i didnt even use any subscript in my exam, just used m. Well i thought that might be the case, because i was pretty confident with that question. Thanks for clearing it up :smile:

well i think that your physics teacher should be shot, that working is perfect, and ordered in a logical manner, find out where he lives and go right now to get the marks you deserve.

Related to Revolving Around a Star: Calculating an Orbital Period

1. What is an orbital period?

An orbital period is the amount of time it takes for an object to complete one full orbit around another object. In the case of a planet revolving around a star, the orbital period is the time it takes for the planet to complete one full orbit around the star.

2. How is the orbital period calculated?

The orbital period can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the average distance between the two objects. This means that if you know the average distance between the planet and the star, you can calculate the orbital period using a simple mathematical equation.

3. What factors affect the orbital period?

The orbital period is affected by the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the objects, the longer the orbital period will be. Similarly, the farther apart the objects are, the longer the orbital period will be.

4. Can the orbital period change over time?

Yes, the orbital period can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, tidal forces, and changes in the mass or distance of the objects. However, these changes are usually very small and can only be detected over long periods of time.

5. How is the orbital period of Earth around the Sun calculated?

The orbital period of Earth around the Sun can be calculated by knowing the average distance between the two objects (149.6 million kilometers) and using the equation derived from Kepler's Third Law. The calculated orbital period for Earth is approximately 365.25 days, which is the length of one year on Earth.