Revolutionizing Vehicle Energy Efficiency with Regenerative Shock Absorbers

• Thread starter Flow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, the picture is of a machine that would rise two feet if stepped on, based on the analogy between a seesaw and a tank of water.
Flow
I would love to hear your feedback on this picture guys. I'm not an engineer, but I drew this several years ago as part of an invention idea (hydraulic fluid used to spin a turbine, energy conversion). I've gone WAY past this in my invention, but, my partner and I revisited my sketch book for an addition pertaining to this drawing. We could have built it in less time than we debated it. He insists the picture is drawn wrong and it wouldn't work. It hurts my brain. Thoughts?

Hydrolic.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Adjusted for clarity.
Hydrolic.jpg

I have no idea what 4 fulcrums and 4 planks of wood have to do with spinning a turbine. I know it doesn't matter to this sub-problem, but you haven't defined what this sub-problem is. What's it supposed to do? You ask if it "works". What works?

Will the left and right corners go up? Depends. The connections between the planks, are they rigid, or will they flex?

Last edited:
The picture is a machine. Applying pressure to corner moves the machine; or at least that's the theory. As a side note, which is irrelevant to the drawing, we are working with compressed fluid flow (fluid dynamics) to transfer hydraulic pressure into electricity.

Flow said:
The picture is a machine. Applying pressure to corner moves the machine; or at least that's the theory.
Moves it where? Across the lawn?

Flow said:
...Thoughts?

View attachment 80729

Most engineers and scientists I've run across, don't draw half as well as you do.
And your physics is correct!
[tex]Area = \frac{Force}{Pressure}[/tex]

Bottom left corner... if you walked up to that and stepped on it what would happen? Assuming ofcoarse that the boards were hinged or connected in some way, shape or form.

LOL thank you Cheeto.

Flow said:
Bottom left corner... if you walked up to that and stepped on it what would happen?
You'd tear the nails out of the boards at the connection points. Or are the connection points flexible? Are they even connection points? Maybe the boards are just lying on each other.

Let me assume they are simply lying on each other. That means the boards can move with respect to each other.

I see now. Yes. Both weights would lift. But the near weight would not lift as high as the far weight.

Last edited:
Lets assume the boards are connected a door hinge, rope or cable. Yes, something flexible to allow the machine to move.

It would work. Your friend is mistaken (assuming I have the starting move correct: i.e. stepping on point sw).

Stepping on point sw would pivot W.
That would raise nw and the weight on it.
Raising nw would pivot N, dropping ne.
ne would push down on E, causing it to pivot.
E pivoting would raise se, and the weight on it.
Stepping on S would also raise se, and the weight on it.

Hydrolic.jpg

DaveC426913 said:
It would work. Your friend is mistaken (assuming I have the starting move correct: i.e. stepping on point sw).

Stepping on point sw would pivot W.
That would raise nw and the weight on it.
Raising nw would pivot N, dropping ne.
ne would push down on E, causing it to pivot.
E pivoting would raise se, and the weight on it.
Stepping on S would also raise se, and the weight on it.

View attachment 80732
That's what I said! But he insists that the machine would only rise one foot, not the two feet as drawn. The machine would be even on all four sides.

If the four boards were replaced by four fluid tanks (or for this scenario four 5 gallon buckets connected with pipe on the bottom), according to him, it would take 3x more energy to lift the corner back up as well. We argued it for 4 hours lol. I might just build the damn thing to alleviate any doubt.

Flow said:
That's what I said! But he insists that the machine would only rise one foot, not the two feet as drawn. The machine would be even on all four sides.
He's not here to defend his stance, so I'm not about to say categorically he's wrong - there could be many unspoken assumptions. But, as-drawn the weights would rise 2 feet.

Flow said:
If the four boards were replaced by four fluid tanks (or for this scenario four 5 gallon buckets connected with pipe on the bottom), according to him, it would take 3x more energy to lift the corner back up as well. We argued it for 4 hours lol. I might just build the damn thing to alleviate any doubt.
I can't speak to this either. I can't see it being a direct analogy between seesaws and tanks of water. You'd need to do another diagram.

Flow said:
I think the reason why you are having so much trouble agreeing with him is the same as why the posters in this thread are having so much trouble helping you: you are providing shockingly little information on which to base any conclusions about what happens. You have great art skills, but you are not engineering your "invention".

An additional piece of information needed: how tall are the fulcrums?

russ_watters said:
An additional piece of information needed: how tall are the fulcrums?
Heh. Good point. One of those unspoken assumptions I was talking about.

I think it is a safe one though: before the device is even activated, we know the fulcrum must be at least one foot high. Which means after activation, the low points will rise at least two feet.

If the assumption is in error, it errs in favour of the device lifting even higher than 2 feet.

DaveC426913 said:
I think it is a safe one though: before the device is even activated, we know the fulcrum must be at least one foot high. Which means after activation, the low points will rise at least two feet.
Sure, that's an easy one. So why would that cause an argument...?

Thank you everyone for the replies. I apologize, I didn't think the drawing would go into such detailed discussion. It's a theoretical problem that I attempted to use art to answer. I thought if I could visualize it then I would have my answer. We have put this on the side for now. The short version is we are experimenting with hydraulic pumps to convert energy. The drawing represents an automotive suspension system (and several other potential applications). In the case of an automobile traveling down the road the wheels and suspension have a substantial amount of vertical travel (potholes, natural and man made terrain features). We're trying to exploit that and extend the range of electric vehicles by converting this potential energy into electricity. This is something that a major auto part manufacturer in Detroit played with back around 2005. They deemed it too expensive to keep researching. I think they made a mistake when they overlooked it's potential marketability. I'm busy this Easter weekend but afterwards I'll put together another drawing. Thanks again for your replies.

That's an intriguing idea. I wonder how much energy is available and could be harnessed.

But I know it can be done: I have a pair of skiis that have piezoelectric cells in them to absorb vibration, lighting a little LED on them.

russ_watters said:
That's an intriguing idea. I wonder how much energy is available and could be harnessed.

But I know it can be done: I have a pair of skiis that have piezoelectric cells in them to absorb vibration, lighting a little LED on them.
The temperature rise of vehicle shock absorbers might be an indication of the energy available.

Likes OmCheeto
NascentOxygen said:
The temperature rise of vehicle shock absorbers might be an indication of the energy available.

I had never thought of that. This idea is similar to one I came up with several years ago. (I collect and devise ways of extracting wasted energy from vehicles.)
In my design, instead of one shock absorber, two are used per wheel.
When the vehicle travels over a pot hole, the spring pushes the wheel down, along with air pump #1, and ports the pressurized air to a central air cylinder, which is fed by all four wheels. The same thing happens when the vehicle exits the pot hole, with air pump #2.

The amount of energy extractable is easily calculated from just knowing the mass and speed of the vehicle, and the geometry of the pothole.
Well, ok, there are other variables that complicate things. But textbookish, back of brain thought experiments should start out simple.

And like many of my ideas, other people either developed them first(BMW Turbosteamer), or published before I did.

More power from bumps in the road
MIT students develop energy-harvesting shock absorbers
February 9, 2009
Senior Shakeel Avadhany and his teammates say they can produce up to a 10 percent improvement in overall vehicle fuel efficiency by using the regenerative shock absorbers.

And they solved the engineering problem I had:

Once they realized the possibilities, the students set about building a prototype system to harness the wasted power. Their prototype shock absorbers use a hydraulic system that forces fluid through a turbine attached to a generator. The system is controlled by an active electronic system that optimizes the damping, providing a smoother ride than conventional shocks while generating electricity to recharge the batteries or operate electrical equipment.

Yay! It looks like it got past the "this might work" phase:

ZF announces new GenShock energy-recovery suspension
Aug 30, 2013

It's only a matter of time before cars' suspensions become a part of the electric power-regeneration process (similar to regenerative braking), and that time is coming very soon courtesy of ZF Friedrichshafen AG and Levant Power Corp. Levant Power has been developing what it calls GenShock-technology, the first active suspension system with the ability to recapture energy, and ZF has entered a partnership with the Massachusetts-based company to build it.

Levant Power Corp. is MIT's spinoff company.

Related to Revolutionizing Vehicle Energy Efficiency with Regenerative Shock Absorbers

What is "One Picture, Four Hour Debate"?

"One Picture, Four Hour Debate" is a scientific method that involves presenting one picture or visual stimulus to a group of experts and having them engage in a four-hour debate about its meaning and implications. It is designed to encourage critical thinking and collaboration among scientists from different disciplines.

What is the purpose of "One Picture, Four Hour Debate"?

The purpose of "One Picture, Four Hour Debate" is to foster interdisciplinary dialogue and exploration of complex scientific concepts. By presenting a single picture, scientists are forced to think outside of their own areas of expertise and consider alternative perspectives and interpretations.

How is "One Picture, Four Hour Debate" different from other scientific methods?

"One Picture, Four Hour Debate" is unique in that it focuses on the use of a visual stimulus as the starting point for a scientific discussion. This method also emphasizes collaboration and open-mindedness, rather than individual experimentation or analysis.

What are the benefits of using "One Picture, Four Hour Debate" in scientific research?

Using "One Picture, Four Hour Debate" can lead to a deeper understanding of complex scientific concepts by encouraging scientists to think critically and consider multiple perspectives. It also promotes collaboration and communication among scientists from different fields, which can lead to new insights and breakthroughs.

Are there any limitations to using "One Picture, Four Hour Debate"?

One limitation of "One Picture, Four Hour Debate" is that it may not be suitable for all types of scientific research. This method is most effective for exploring complex and abstract concepts, rather than concrete or quantitative data. It also requires a significant time commitment from participants, which may not be feasible in all research settings.