Revolutionizing Gears with Programmable Smart Magnets

• Thread starter Scratch_light
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, the conversation discusses an idea of using magnets in gear teeth to improve efficiency and reduce errors such as interference. The magnets would be programmable and placed inside the gear tooth to achieve a constant velocity ratio. However, there are questions about how the magnets would overcome the problem and what inefficiency they are trying to decrease. It is also mentioned that gear trains are already very efficient.
Scratch_light
These are magnets which are programmed according to the motion that is there in gears( transmitting motion from one shaft to other). To improve effificiency of gear; these magnets are kept inside the gear tooth such that whatever may be the error or to achieve constant velocity ratio these are handy. It is just an idea! So please comment for prod and cons and also if this idea is possible.

Engineering news on Phys.org
So what would these magnets pull towards or push against? Currently, the only way to get a magnet which could be turned on/off is an electromagnet, which requires electric current (external power). In the overall scheme, you would need to turn the gear into a rotor of an electric motor, if I understand correctly.

Likes Scratch_light
Scratch_light said:
These are magnets which are programmed according to the motion that is there in gears( transmitting motion from one shaft to other). To improve effificiency of gear; these magnets are kept inside the gear tooth such that whatever may be the error or to achieve constant velocity ratio these are handy. It is just an idea! So please comment for prod and cons and also if this idea is possible.

Your description sounds a bit like a stepper motor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor
Stepper_motor

Scratch_light said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Gear trains are already very efficient. What inefficiency are you trying to decrease?

scottdave said:
So what would these magnets pull towards or push against? Currently, the only way to get a magnet which could be turned on/off is an electromagnet, which requires electric current (external power). In the overall scheme, you would need to turn the gear into a rotor of an electric motor, if I understand correctly.
Thank you for your reply; But the magnets can be programmed according to their motion in the gear or the heat generated; But I am not sure. It was just an idea that came to me while I was sitting in class.

You are attempting to make gear teeth that mesh but don't physically contact each other? Is that correct?

Averagesupernova said:
You are attempting to make gear teeth that mesh but don't physically contact each other? Is that correct?
Actually I have seen the gear teeth that you are talking about; it is known as magnetic teeth. What I am thinking is that to avoid errors in gears and to have constant velocity ratio; these are small magnets which are physically present in the gear such that they can overcome this problem.

Scratch_light said:
avoid errors in gears and to have constant velocity ratio; these are small magnets which are physically present in the gear such that they can overcome this problem.
In what way would the magnets overcome the problem?
  • Hold the teeth apart?
  • Keep the teeth in contact?
  • If something else I haven't thought of, What?

Tom.G said:
In what way would the magnets overcome the problem?
  • Hold the teeth apart?
  • Keep the teeth in contact?
  • If something else I haven't thought of, What?
Thank you for your reply
You are thinking in right direction; but one thing which is required for every gear is having constant velocity ratio and not having interferference.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. [emoji2]

Gear trains are already very efficient. What inefficiency are you trying to decrease?
Thank you for your reply. I am just trying for the gear to have less errors such as interference. If this is not possible do tell me.

Related to Revolutionizing Gears with Programmable Smart Magnets

What is the concept behind "Revolutionizing Gears with Programmable Smart Magnets"?

The concept involves using programmable smart magnets in place of traditional gears to create more efficient and versatile mechanical systems. These magnets can be programmed to change their magnetic field and polarity, allowing for precise control of the gear's movement.

How do programmable smart magnets differ from traditional gears?

Traditional gears are made of solid materials with fixed teeth, while programmable smart magnets can be adjusted to create different gear ratios and even change direction of rotation. This allows for more flexibility in design and reduces the need for multiple gear sizes.

What are the potential benefits of using programmable smart magnets in gears?

Some potential benefits include increased efficiency, reduced wear and tear, and improved control and precision. These magnets also have a longer lifespan compared to traditional gears, as they do not experience the same amount of physical contact and friction.

Are there any limitations or challenges to implementing programmable smart magnets in gears?

One challenge is the need for specialized programming and control systems to accurately control the magnets. Another limitation is the cost of these magnets, which may be more expensive than traditional gears. Additionally, they may not be suitable for all types of gear applications.

What industries or applications could benefit from this technology?

Industries such as robotics, automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing could benefit from the use of programmable smart magnets in gears. This technology could also be useful in medical devices, precision instruments, and other mechanical systems that require precise and efficient movement.