Review Questions on Geometry 1: Where Did I Go Wrong?

In summary, during a review test on Sparknotes' Geometry 1, the student came across two questionable questions. The first question asked for the number of supplementary angles, to which the student found only 16 pairs, but the correct answer was 36. The second question asked for the resulting shape when attaching a triangle to a quadrilateral, and the correct answer was a quadrilateral, which the student found questionable. The student also questioned the provided answer for a third question involving the area of a parallelogram. Other students also shared their thoughts on the questions.
FredericChopin
Hello,

I have been doing a review test on Geometry 1 on Sparknotes (http://www.sparknotes.com/math/geometry1/review/quiz.html), however I came across two questions which I got incorrect answers for and which I found the provided solutions questionable.

The first is Question 1 (attached).

I managed to find only 16 pairs of angles which were supplementary (attached is my solution), however this is not one of the solutions presented and the correct answer was that there were 36 pairs of supplementary angles.

The second is Question 2 (attached).

Simply attaching a triangle on a quadrilateral yields a pentagon, but in no way does it ever yield a quadrilateral, which was the correct solution to Question 2.

If you could suggest where I must have gone wrong, that would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Question 1.png
    Question 1.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 441
  • My Solution 1.png
    My Solution 1.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 444
  • Question 2.png
    Question 2.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 404
  • My Solution 2.png
    My Solution 2.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, have a look at this question (attached).

It's saying that the area of the parallelogram is 15 units squared. But that can't be right. The area of a parallelogram is its base multiplied by its altitude. That side which is labelled "5" clearly isn't an altitude.

Attachments

• Strange.png
    Strange.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 434
For q1, how many obtuse angles are there? How many acute angles are there?

For q2, the union can be a pentagon, as you say, but not necessarily. None of the offeed answers is correct.

For q3, I agree with you.

FredericChopin said:
The second is Question 2 (attached).

Simply attaching a triangle on a quadrilateral yields a pentagon, but in no way does it ever yield a quadrilateral, which was the correct solution to Question 2.

If you could suggest where I must have gone wrong, that would be appreciated.

Thank you.

See the picture, what or those yellow shapes?

ehild

polygon2.JPG

ehild said:

ehild

View attachment 73987
I would not consider the second diagram an example of a quadrilateral and triangle sharing a side. But I do now see why D is correct. Consider two other sides crossing.

These questions are dodgy, aren't they?

haruspex said:
For q3, I agree with you.

Yeah. I think it is an error. They must have meant that the height of the parallelogram is 5, not one of its sides.

ehild said:

ehild

View attachment 73987

haruspex said:
I would not consider the second diagram an example of a quadrilateral and triangle sharing a side. But I do now see why D is correct. Consider two other sides crossing.

The answer they provide is C, "quadrilateral". It seems that the resulting shape will be a polygon, but as ehild also showed, it could also be another quadrilateral, pentagon, or heptagon. Very dodgy.

I still don't understand how to answer Question 1. I still only see 16 pairs of supplementary angles, when the answer they provide is 36(!). Maybe they're trying to be picky and saying that, for example, "angle ABC" is not the same as "angle CBA". Hm...

Two angles are supplementary if their sum is 180°. You have 6 acute angles and 6 obtuse angles. How many acute-obtuse pairs can you make of them? a and 1 are supplementary, but so are a and 2 , a and 3 a and 4 and so on...

ehild

supplamentary.JPG

Last edited:
FredericChopin said:
The answer they provide is C, "quadrilateral". It seems that the resulting shape will be a polygon, but as ehild also showed, it could also be another quadrilateral, pentagon, or heptagon. Very dodgy.
Yes, it must always produce a polygon - what I meant to say is that it does not necessarily produce a convex polygon, nor even a polygon the sides of which correspond to the sides of the original shapes.

And a quadrilateral sharing two sides with a triangle can be a triangle :D

ehild

Attachments

• quadrytriang.JPG
    quadrytriang.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 412

Related to Review Questions on Geometry 1: Where Did I Go Wrong?

1. What is the purpose of reviewing Geometry 1?

Reviewing Geometry 1 allows us to refresh our understanding of basic geometric concepts, which are the foundation for more advanced mathematical and scientific principles. It also helps us to identify any areas where we may need further practice or clarification.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Geometry 1 review?

A Geometry 1 review typically covers topics such as points, lines, angles, polygons, area, perimeter, and basic geometric formulas and theorems. It may also include a review of basic algebraic concepts, as they are often used in solving geometric problems.

3. How can I best prepare for a Geometry 1 review?

To prepare for a Geometry 1 review, it is helpful to first review any notes or materials from your previous Geometry 1 course. You can also practice solving problems from your textbook or online resources. It may also be beneficial to work through practice tests or review sheets to gauge your understanding and identify any areas that need further review.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when reviewing Geometry 1?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when reviewing Geometry 1 include mixing up geometric terms and formulas, forgetting to include units when solving problems involving measurements, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and carefully read each problem to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I use the knowledge gained from reviewing Geometry 1 in real-life applications?

The principles and concepts learned in Geometry 1 have many real-life applications, such as in architecture, engineering, and design. Understanding basic geometric concepts can also help with tasks like measuring and budgeting for home projects, reading maps and blueprints, and visualizing and solving problems in various fields of science and technology.