Review book for College Physics I and II

In summary, Alex will be a Junior in high school this September and is already taking Chemistry and thinking about taking Physics also. He has basic trigonometry knowledge and wants to get a review book for both of the courses and help is highly appreciated.
Algebra
In September I will be a Junior in high school (11th grade). I am already taking Chemistry, and thinking about taking Physics also. I have basic trigonometry knowledge (I will also be taking A2T (Algebra 2, Trig) at the same time as this course. The first half of the year is College Physics I, and the second half is College Physics II. I have some money lying around and I want to get a review book for both of the courses, and help would be highly appreciated. Thanks! .
Alex.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

Without knowing what your Physics I and II entails it is hard to answer. You can start with the books that would be used for your course.

I am not really sure sure how one learns physics without learning calculus first. It may make sense to learn basic calculus first from a book such as
Quick Calculus: A Self-Teaching Guide by Kleppner
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20

or sort of learn both calculus and mechanics together from Savov
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0992001005/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You do need a solid background in Algebra and Trigonometry as well. In my opinion, you would do much better if you try to learn the basic required math before tackling physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
College Physics I:
da4698fc922067b572e58e25c0135195.png
College Physics II:
982876a987565b04521d6a480591be97.png

smodak said:
Without knowing what your Physics I and II entails it is hard to answer. You can start with the books that would be used for your course.

I am not really sure sure how one learns physics without learning calculus first. It may make sense to learn basic calculus first from a book such as
Quick Calculus: A Self-Teaching Guide by Kleppner
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20

or sort of learn both calculus and mechanics together from Savov
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0992001005/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You do need a solid background in Algebra and Trigonometry as well. In my opinion, you would do much better if you try to learn the basic required math before tackling physics.

Also to be noted, the course is strictly Algebra based. There is little-to-basically none Calculus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Algebra said:
Also to be noted, the course is strictly Algebra based. There is little-to-basically none Calculus.
Sorry, hopefully others can help you. I never read an algebra based physics textbook so cannot really recommend one.

Last edited:
smodak said:
Sorry, hopefully others can help you. I never read a algebra based physics textbook so cannot really recommend one.
All good! Thanks for taking your time to reply. Have a good rest of your day.

Algebra said:

That might be true, but it would still be useful to know calculus. In algebra based physics they just throw the formula at you. When you know calculus, you can see why the formula actually makes sense. So while calculus is not necessary, it will still enhance your understanding and you'll have to memorize less.

Likes smodak
micromass said:
That might be true, but it would still be useful to know calculus. In algebra based physics they just throw the formula at you. When you know calculus, you can see why the formula actually makes sense. So while calculus is not necessary, it will still enhance your understanding and you'll have to memorize less.
Could not have said it better myself.

micromass said:
Thank you :) I really appreciate it. I don't know what to do then. I'll be taking A2T this year, and calculus next school year (taking pre-calc over the summer). Thanks again for you feedback, I'll keep it in mind. Have a good day :)

Related to Review book for College Physics I and II

What is the purpose of a review book for College Physics I and II?

A review book for College Physics I and II is designed to help students reinforce and apply the concepts learned in their physics courses. It typically includes practice problems, explanations, and study strategies to aid in exam preparation.

How is a review book different from a textbook?

A review book is more condensed and focused on summarizing key concepts and providing practice problems, while a textbook goes into greater detail and includes more examples and explanations. Review books are meant to supplement, not replace, a textbook.

Can a review book be used as the sole resource for studying for College Physics I and II?

No, a review book should not be the only resource used for studying physics. It is important to also refer to class notes, lecture materials, and textbooks to fully understand the material and be prepared for exams.

Are there different review books available for different levels of physics courses?

Yes, there are review books specifically designed for College Physics I and II, as well as for more advanced levels of physics such as calculus-based physics or advanced mechanics. It is important to choose a review book that aligns with the level of your course.

How should I use a review book effectively for studying?

It is best to use a review book in conjunction with your class materials. Start by reviewing the material you have already covered in class, then use the practice problems in the review book to test your understanding. It is also helpful to create a study schedule and break up the material into smaller, manageable chunks.