Reversible reaction activated only by thermal energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a reversible reaction activated by thermal energy, resulting in a substance that can return to its initial state and release stored thermal energy. The concept is similar to glycolysis, but simpler to implement in a lab setting. The precipitation of sodium acetate from supercooled solutions is suggested as an example, also known as "Hot Ice" and easily made. Additional information can be found by searching "phase change materials thermal storage".
Ueue
Dear all,

I am not an expert of Chemistry and I would like to know if there is a reversible reaction that can be activated only by thermal energy. The result of the reaction should be something which can be brough again to the initial state, releasing again the thermal energy stored. I was thinking to something similar in concept to the glycolyse (in which the solar energy is stored in the molecule of glucose and this energy is released when the molecule is broken), but simpler to implement in lab. As I have understood, the synthesis of glucose is not simple and it does not require only thermal energy.

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot,
Stefano

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The precipitation of sodium acetate from supercooled (achieved by heating) solutions does just that. Google "phase change materials thermal storage".

Related to Reversible reaction activated only by thermal energy

1. What is a reversible reaction activated only by thermal energy?

A reversible reaction activated only by thermal energy is a chemical reaction that can proceed in both the forward and reverse directions, but is only activated by changes in temperature. This means that the reaction can only occur when enough thermal energy is present to overcome the activation energy barrier.

2. How is a reversible reaction different from an irreversible reaction?

A reversible reaction can occur in both the forward and reverse directions, while an irreversible reaction can only occur in the forward direction. This means that a reversible reaction can reach an equilibrium state where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant, while an irreversible reaction will continue to move in the forward direction until one of the reactants is completely consumed.

3. What is the role of thermal energy in a reversible reaction?

Thermal energy is necessary for a reversible reaction to occur because it provides the energy needed to overcome the activation energy barrier and allow the reaction to proceed in both directions. Without enough thermal energy, the reaction will not occur.

4. Can a reversible reaction occur at any temperature?

No, a reversible reaction can only occur at temperatures where there is enough thermal energy present to overcome the activation energy barrier. If the temperature is too low, the reaction will not occur, and if it is too high, the reaction may become irreversible.

5. How is a reversible reaction affected by changes in temperature?

A reversible reaction is highly sensitive to changes in temperature. As the temperature increases, the rate of the reaction will also increase, leading to more products being formed. Conversely, a decrease in temperature will slow down the reaction and result in more reactants being present. This can also affect the equilibrium state of the reaction, as changes in temperature can shift the balance between reactants and products.