Reversibility in thermodynamics

In summary, the process of reversing the direction of heat flow becomes possible when the temperature difference between the system and the reservoirs becomes infinitesimally small. This is done by slightly shifting the sequence of reservoirs that the system is brought into contact with.
PhysicsInNJ
Conceptually, why does infinitesimally changing a system allow for a process to be reversible. For example, if we heat a system at temperature T1 to T2 by using a heat reservoir at T2, it is considered irreversible, but if we heat the system with many reservoirs at temperatures T1+dT, T1+2dT... the process becomes reversible.

I see that with the finite temperature difference, you would not be able to reverse the direction of heat flow without outside work, shouldn't the same problem exist for the "reversible" process, albeit with smaller magnitudes? You would not be able to spontaneously return a system at T1+dT to T1.

Science news on Phys.org
This is a very good question. First let me say that the word "spontaneous" implies irreversible in thermodynamics. So I don't think you meant to use that word.

The question is: How can both the system and the sequence of reservoirs be returned to their original state without doing any work and without having more than a negligible effect on anything else? Here is a hint to how one could proceed: On the reverse path, slightly shift the sequence of reservoirs that the system is brought into contact with. Can you figure out from this hint how to do it?

Chet

Likes Kninfinite
@Chestermiller If we put the system while it is in a T1 + 2dT configuration back in contact with T1+dT we could revert the temperature to T1 +dT. But this requires work on our part (outside work) to move the system and reservoir in contact, right? Also this wouldn't be able to bring the system back to T1.

PhysicsInNJ said:
@Chestermiller If we put the system while it is in a T1 + 2dT configuration back in contact with T1+dT we could revert the temperature to T1 +dT. But this requires work on our part (outside work) to move the system and reservoir in contact, right?
I don't see why it would require work.
Also this wouldn't be able to bring the system back to T1.

You put the system at temperature T+10dT into contact with the reservoir at T+9dT. Then you put the system at temperature T+9dT into contact with the reservoir at T+8dT. Then you put the system at temperature T+8dT into contact with the reservoir at T+7dT. etc.

Chestermiller said:
I don't see why it would require work.
I was thinking that if we were hypothetically carrying out this process, we would have to move the reservoirs/systems requiring us to do physical work.

Chestermiller said:
You put the system at temperature T+10dT into contact with the reservoir at T+9dT. Then you put the system at temperature T+9dT into contact with the reservoir at T+8dT. Then you put the system at temperature T+8dT into contact with the reservoir at T+7dT. etc.
But T+dT is the last reservoir we have, so the system would only be able to get down to T+dT, not return to T.

PhysicsInNJ said:
I was thinking that if we were hypothetically carrying out this process, we would have to move the reservoirs/systems requiring us to do physical work.
We could reduce such work to zero by putting the system in a frictionless sheet of ice as we moved it into contact with the various reservoirs. This really wouldn't be what we consider thermodynamic work.

But T+dT is the last reservoir we have, so the system would only be able to get down to T+dT, not return to T.
Good call. Yes, we would have to add a reservoir at the one end, and not use the last reservoir at the other end. But, in the limit where dT really does approach zero, this would be a negligible effect.

Irrespective of the ##\Delta T## in each contact with a reservoir, the change in the entropy of the system would be zero for the complete cycle. The change in entropy of the reservoirs by doing this game plan for an arbitrary ##\Delta T## would be $$\Delta S=mC\Delta T\left(\frac{T_H-T_C}{T_HT_C}\right)$$ where ##T_H## is the high end temperature of the system, ##T_C## is the low end temperature of the system, and C is the heat capacity of the system. So, as ##\Delta T## gets smaller, the overall change in entropy for the combination of system and surroundings (reservoirs) would approach zero for the cycle.

Likes Lord Jestocost
Chestermiller said:
We could reduce such work to zero by putting the system in a frictionless sheet of ice as we moved it into contact with the various reservoirs. This really wouldn't be what we consider thermodynamic work.
I see, I suppose I was being pedantic and not considering the overall picture.

This made sense, thank you Chet!

Related to Reversibility in thermodynamics

What is reversibility in thermodynamics?

Reversibility in thermodynamics refers to the ability of a process to be reversed without causing any change in the system or its surroundings. In other words, the system can return to its original state after the process has been reversed.

Why is reversibility important in thermodynamics?

Reversibility is important in thermodynamics because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of systems in both forward and reverse processes. It also helps us determine the maximum efficiency of a process.

What is an irreversible process in thermodynamics?

An irreversible process is a process that cannot be reversed without causing permanent changes in the system or its surroundings. These changes can include an increase in entropy or the generation of waste heat.

What are some examples of reversible and irreversible processes in thermodynamics?

Examples of reversible processes include the expansion and compression of an ideal gas, while examples of irreversible processes include the burning of fuel and the mixing of two different gases.

How does entropy relate to reversibility in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. In reversible processes, the entropy of the system remains constant, while in irreversible processes, the entropy increases. This is because irreversible processes tend to create more disorder in the system.