Reverse Rotating Pump: Does it Add Head to Fluid?

In summary: NidumA centrifugal pump can operate in one of four ways, depending on the type of casing and the type of blades. The pump shown in the video operates in the opposite direction of the one pictured, and has a reduced efficiency due to the impact it has on performance. Good catch.
Mikealvarado100
Hi
What happens when a centrifugal pump rotate inversely? Does it add Head to fluid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mikealvarado100 said:
What happens when a centrifugal pump rotate inversely?
For radial blades and a symmetric casing, it wouldn't make a difference which way it turns. For curved blades and asymmetric casing the below comparison of forward vs backward curved blades might help (around 4:00):

Last edited:
A.T.
Thank you very much.
What I can understand from your explanation and the video is, a centrifugal pump NEVER pump fluid inversely, even though it's impeller rotates inversely. It means that a centrifugal pump ALWAYS transfer fluid from suction side to discharge side and direction of rotation of impeller can just affect on amount of flow not direction of flow.
Am I right? If so, Replacing Phases of a 3 phase pump JUST affect on amount of flow and never affect on direction of flow. Yes?

If fluid is fed into the discharge outlet of a pump, the direction of rotation of the impeller may reverse (depending on type of pump) and the fluid comes out of the suction inlet. In this situation, mechanical power is available at the impeller shaft.

The advantages of operating a pump as a turbine are convenience, simplicity and low cost. The disadvantages are low efficiency and lack of versatility.

Last edited:
David Lewis said:
When the direction of rotation of the impeller reverses then the flow is also reversed

That's NOT true of centrifugal pumps with straight vanes. They pump in the same direction regardless of which way they rotate. Centrifugal pumps with curved blades will be more efficient rotating in one direction than the other but may still pump in the same direction (eg flow not reversed).

Likes David Lewis
Good catch. I stand corrected.

David & CWatters;
Your explanations made me a little confused. please correct my thought, if it is not true:
Both straight blade and curved blades pumps,transfer fluid in ONE direction, regardless of which way they (both of them) rotate. But curved blade pumps have to rotate in just one direction to have more efficient, and if it rotates in reverse direction, then it would has less efficiency. AM I right?

A.T. said:
For radial blades and a symmetric casing, it wouldn't make a difference which way it turns.
Just to make sure it is clear though; an awful lot of pumps (like the one pictured on the YouTube video cover) don't have symmetrical casings, they have an outlet on one side or the other. For those, if you spin them backwards, it has a huge impact on performance.

A.T.
What do you mean with 'Huge Impact'. More explanation is needed. Does it mean the majority of C.F. pump does not transfer fluid to suction side, if they rotate inversely? Or fluid is transferred but with low efficiency?
Which one?
Another question is which C.F. pumps can rotate inversely without impact mentioned?

Last edited:
Mikealvarado100 said:
A.T.
What do you mean with 'Huge Impact'. More explanation is needed. Does it mean the majority of C.F. pump does not transfer fluid to suction side, if they rotate inversely? Or fluid is transferred but with low efficiency?
Which one?
Another question is which C.F. pumps can rotate inversely without impact mentioned?
I think you were responding to me...

It will vary from one pump to another, so it is tough to put an exact number on it; maybe 50%, maybe 90% reduction in performance (by any way you wish to measure it).

Good catch.
Which pumps can behave as both pump and turbine? It is my own thought that axial flow pumps with symmetric casing can operate as pump and turbine (with normal efficiency).
What do you think?

I thought that this question was quite well dealt with in your other threads where we discussed the interpretation of this diagram ?

2-jpg.102099.jpg

I certainly don't want to be unhelpful but I am having some difficulty in understanding what the problem is .

A pump like the one shown in A.T.'s video has the four possible operating conditions shown in the diagram .

I suppose we could extend the plot of flow versus impeller speed to cover turbine operation.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 653
Nidum said:
I thought that this question was quite well dealt with in your other threads where we discussed the interpretation of this diagram ?

2-jpg.102099.jpg

I certainly don't want to be unhelpful but I am having some difficulty in understanding what the problem is .

A pump like the one shown in A.T.'s video has the four possible operating conditions shown in the diagram .

Nidum
russ_watters believes that the pump above will has huge impact if rotates inversely. and you say that pump has four quadrants. Which one is correct? I exactly mean which CF pumps works in both direction without huge impacts (huge headloss or decrease in efficiency)?

Nidum said:

2-jpg.102099.jpg

Nidum
russ_watters believes that the pump above will has huge impact if rotates inversely. and you say that pump has four quadrants. Which one is correct?
Meanwhile let me use the oppertunity to ask question about Quadrant Up/Left of the diagram: Regarding to https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/four-quadrants-of-pumps.875380/#post-5500916 please explain both H<0 and H>0 in this quadrant. How these two conditions occurs?

If H represents the fluid pressure then I think H>0 means the flow is not freely leaving the discharge outlet. Rather it's impeded when it tries to leave the discharge outlet, for example if you are pumping fluid to an elevated tank.

Mikealvarado100 said:
I exactly mean which CF pumps works in both direction without huge impacts (huge headloss or decrease in efficiency)?

Probably not many because of the asymmetric casing.

In the graph, the horizontal axis represents impeller rotational speed. The vertical axis is volume flow rate. When the pump operates normally, you obtain the greatest efficiency (blue line).

When the impeller rotates in the opposite direction, you get less efficiency (green line). You don't get as much flow even though the impeller spins fast. Hence the line slope is less.

When the pump operates as a turbine, fluid flow is reversed, and efficiency is again poor (red line). The impeller doesn't spin as fast even though you have lots of flow. So the line slope is steep.

Mikealvarado100 said:
Which pumps can behave as both pump and turbine? It is my own thought that axial flow pumps with symmetric casing can operate as pump and turbine (with normal efficiency).

That's a good point. If you have an axial pump that uses (what looks like) a ship's propeller, it can also work efficiently as a pump. That's helpful if you want to apply power to the turbine in order to add water to the reservoir during times when demand for electricity is low.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 717

Related to Reverse Rotating Pump: Does it Add Head to Fluid?

1. What is a reverse rotating pump?

A reverse rotating pump is a type of pump that uses two impellers rotating in opposite directions to create flow and pressure in a fluid. The impellers are mounted on the same shaft, but their rotation is counter to each other.

2. How does a reverse rotating pump work?

A reverse rotating pump works by using the opposing rotations of the two impellers to create a higher differential pressure and flow rate in the fluid. This is achieved by the first impeller accelerating the fluid and the second impeller decelerating it, resulting in an overall increase in energy and pressure.

3. Does a reverse rotating pump add head to fluid?

Yes, a reverse rotating pump does add head to fluid. The opposing rotations of the impellers create a higher pressure and flow rate in the fluid, resulting in an increase in head or height of the fluid column.

4. What are the advantages of using a reverse rotating pump?

The main advantage of using a reverse rotating pump is its ability to add head to fluid, making it useful for applications where high pressures are required. It also has a more compact design compared to traditional pumps and can handle a wide range of viscosities and fluid types.

5. Are there any limitations to using a reverse rotating pump?

While reverse rotating pumps have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They are not suitable for handling large solid particles or highly abrasive fluids, and their efficiency can be affected by changes in the fluid viscosity. They also require precise alignment of the impellers to work effectively.