Reverse Piezoelec effect queries

• Thread starter srihari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reverse
In summary, the reverse piezoelectric effect can be used for precision motion control, as seen in industrial examples on www.piezo-motor.net. However, its suitability for directly positioning and holding an item depends on the specific application and further research into appropriate materials and techniques may be necessary.
srihari
How accurately can reverse piezoelectric effect be controlled? Can I say if I apply so and so voltages across it i can expand it to so and so distance and statically hold it in that position for some time(Small timings around 10 millisecs)? If no any other mechanism that can be employed?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The piezoelectric effect can be and is used for precision motion control. See www piezo-motor net for some industrial examples (check out the datasheets for performance info, I was pretty impressed with how fast they are, not at all what I expected).

Whether you can use it directly to position an item and accurately hold it will depend heavily on the application. You'd have to do some more research about what materials and techniques would be suitable given your requirements.

Related to Reverse Piezoelec effect queries

1. What is the reverse piezoelectric effect?

The reverse piezoelectric effect refers to the phenomenon where applying an electric field to a material causes it to deform or change its shape. This is the opposite of the traditional piezoelectric effect, where applying mechanical stress to a material generates an electric charge.

2. How does the reverse piezoelectric effect work?

The reverse piezoelectric effect relies on the crystal structure of certain materials, such as quartz or ceramic, which have a polarized lattice. When an electric field is applied, it causes the lattice to shift, resulting in a change in the material's shape.

3. What are the applications of the reverse piezoelectric effect?

The reverse piezoelectric effect has a wide range of applications, including in sensors, actuators, and transducers. It is also used in medical devices, such as ultrasound machines, and in industrial processes, such as precision positioning and control systems.

4. Can the reverse piezoelectric effect be controlled?

Yes, the reverse piezoelectric effect can be controlled by varying the strength and direction of the applied electric field. This allows for precise manipulation of the material's shape and can be used in various engineering and scientific applications.

5. Are there any limitations to the reverse piezoelectric effect?

While the reverse piezoelectric effect has many useful applications, it does have some limitations. For example, the effect is only significant in certain materials with a polarized lattice structure, and high temperatures can reduce its effectiveness. Additionally, the effect may also be affected by external factors, such as humidity or mechanical stress.