Reverse Conditional Probabilities

In summary, the conversation discusses a modified mutation algorithm and the attempt to derive a more analytical probability model. The algorithm has a probability of mutation of 0.01 and if mutation occurs, there are probabilities for three different mutation types. The algorithm requires that the sum of these probabilities equals 1. The individual probabilities of each mutation type (P(A), P(B), P(C)) are being sought through Bayes' rule, but the numerical MATLAB model is suggesting different values. The conversation ends with a request for help and a link to information on Bayesian inference calculations.
tangodirt
I've written a modified mutation algorithm that I am trying to derive a more analytical probability model for. The basic algorithm works like this:

1. The probability of mutation is P(M) = 0.01.
2. If mutation occurs, then:
a. The probability that mutation-type A is P(A|M) = 0.50
b. The probability that mutation-type B is P(B|M) = 0.40
c. The probability that mutation-type C is P(C|M) = 0.10

My algorithm requires that P(A|M) + P(B|M) + P(C|M) = 1.

Now, I'm trying to derive what P(A), P(B), and P(C) are, but since it has been a long time since I've had a course in probability, I'm at a bit of a loss. My guess is to use Bayes' rule, but I'm not sure how I should be applying it.

My numerical MATLAB model is suggesting values such as 0.01 for M (which is known), 0.005 for P(A), 0.004 for P(B), and 0.001 for P(C). This leads me to believe Bayes' rule does not apply, but my understanding is that it does...

Can anyone provide me some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's some info on bayes inference calculations that may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_inference

Notice that in Bayes: P(A|M) = P(M|A) * P(M) / P(A) and it seems that P(M|A) =1 and you have P(M) so you should be able to compute P(A).

Related to Reverse Conditional Probabilities

1. What is a "Reverse Conditional Probability"?

"Reverse Conditional Probability" is a statistical concept that refers to the probability of an event occurring, given that another event has already occurred. It is the opposite of traditional conditional probability, which calculates the probability of an event occurring, given that another event might occur in the future.

2. How is "Reverse Conditional Probability" different from traditional conditional probability?

While traditional conditional probability calculates the likelihood of an event occurring in the future, reverse conditional probability calculates the likelihood of an event having occurred in the past. It is a useful tool for analyzing historical data and making predictions based on past events.

3. What are some real-world applications of "Reverse Conditional Probability"?

"Reverse Conditional Probability" has many applications in fields such as finance, epidemiology, and genetics. For example, it can be used to assess the risk of a certain disease given a person's genetic makeup or to predict stock market trends based on past market performance.

4. How is "Reverse Conditional Probability" calculated?

Reverse conditional probability is calculated using Bayes' theorem, which involves multiplying the prior probability of an event by the likelihood of that event given the occurrence of another event. In mathematical notation, it can be expressed as P(A|B) = P(A) * P(B|A) / P(B), where A and B represent the events in question.

5. How can "Reverse Conditional Probability" be used to improve decision making?

By analyzing past data and calculating reverse conditional probabilities, decision makers can gain a deeper understanding of the relationships between different events and make more informed decisions. It allows for a more nuanced and comprehensive approach to problem-solving and risk assessment.