X-Men: Love or Hate? What's Your Take?

• Thread starter Sting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, most people either love or hate the X-Men. There are many versions for everyone to enjoy or hate. Beast and Wolverine are two of the favorite characters.
Sting
Sounds like a silly topic, but what are your opinions of the X-Men (early 90's cartoons, movie series, characters, anything)?

What started this up was simply a discussion among friends that evolved from Astronomy (don't ask me how it happened).

A majority of people I know either hate the X-Men or love the X-Men. Very few people have I met that didn't have a strong opinion about them.

So, what's your viewpoint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Frankly, there are so many versions, there is something to love, or hate, for everyone.

Yep, I understand exactly what you mean.

One of my coworkers in the Math Lab loves the X-Men but he hates the X-Men Evolution series.

My reason for liking the X-Men:

http://www.lostsoulwolverine.com/gallery/g830.jpg [Broken]

<sigh>

But seriously, I love the X-Men. In the 90's cartoons, I thought Sabretooth was the coolest. In the movie, however, he disappointed me because he seemed just to stand there and growl (and that was all throughout the movie).

So yes, I can see where some people love certain aspects of it and hate the other parts of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge fan of almost all comics (especially those of Marvel and Dark Horse). X-men was also the first comic I read (either that or Captain America, I can't really remember), but needless to say I loved it, and still do. There are certain writers, and to a lesser extent, artists I don't particurally like, but on the whole I love the series.

And Beast and Wolverine are my two favourite characters.

I never read the comic and wouldn't have seen the film except that it happened to be on one night when nothing else good was on.

It turned out I enjoyed the movie more than I ever expected. Wolverine was a very cool character. I thought the girl who couldn't be touched was a very intriguing problem to throw into a plot and, of course, I enjoyed Patrick Stewart, who is always enjoyable to watch.

I grew up on the 90's cartoon. They were on every saturday morning. Some of my favorite characters include sinister, cable, bishop, Longshot, Juggernaut and Onslaught.

I've read the pure living heck out of teh comic books, and can actually explain Cable to someone in less than 1000 words...and if you know anything about Cable, you are almost as big of a geek as I am!

the cartoon rocked, along with spiderman. those were the good old days

There are certain writers, and to a lesser extent, artists I don't particurally like, but on the whole I love the series.

Yes, and the writers are reflected in the story line.

I absolutely love the X-Men but there are some episodes that I can lose interest in pretty quickly. THere was one particular episode dealing with Apocalypse and it was a lot of Star Wars-ish type drama and action. Don't get me wrong, I like Star Wars, but seeing the X-Men battling with their own fists (or adamantium claws) with more familar characters (like Sabretooth) is what gets my adrenaline going. Seeing the X-Men in space with laser guns wasn't all that appealing.

Some of my favorite characters include sinister, cable, bishop, Longshot, Juggernaut and Onslaught.

Juggernaut...I was playing the Spiderman/X-Men game for SNES and I have the hardest time trying to beat Juggernaut in the second Wolverine level.

the cartoon rocked, along with spiderman. those were the good old days

Yes, those were the good old days. DId you guys know that ABC Family no longer shows the X-Men? Isn't that cruel and unusual punishment?

I was really surprised by the second movie. They actually did a good job of portraying my favorite character, Nightcrawler. And the ending got me pretty geeked. They're going to do the Pheonix Saga ! I hope they play up the relationship between Wolverine and the 'Crawler, I find it one of the most interesting aspects of the series.

I agree that some of the outer space stuff was unnecessary. But I would love to see a movie based on their battles with "The Brood", just to see how spFX does the Acanti.

Obviously from a sciency point of view X-men is preposturous but, hell we only live once and i loved the X-men cartoons! My favourite character was Gambit cos he was groovy and rogueish and that was cool. I never really got to like Wolverine until the film came out, where u have to like him cos he is played really cool! S'a pity that Gambit wasnt in any of the movies, maybe i can persuade a writer or something to put him in!

Obviously from a sciency point of view X-men is preposturous

Of course, but it's still great :wink:

By the way, jimmyp, that "p" wouldn't happen to stand for "page" would it?

I hope they play up the relationship between Wolverine and the 'Crawler,

OKay, I spent the earlier part of this thread bragging about what a big fan I am of the X-Men but I'm suffering a memory lapse. Remind me about the relationship (and if you don't want to ruin it, please send me a PM), thanks.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I grew up on the 90's cartoon. They were on every saturday morning. Some of my favorite characters include sinister, cable, bishop, Longshot, Juggernaut and Onslaught.

What about Apocalypse?

jimmy p

Lol, sorry I am not that original, i am a Led Zeppelin fan, but unfortunately it is only my name...James Pickering... sorry to be boring! :smile:

GO GAMBIT

I love it all

Originally posted by Sting

OKay, I spent the earlier part of this thread bragging about what a big fan I am of the X-Men but I'm suffering a memory lapse. Remind me about the relationship (and if you don't want to ruin it, please send me a PM), thanks.

I don't know what happened to Morph in the movies but, in the books, Nightcrawler was the only person other than Morph with whom Wolverine ever formed a really close bond. But it was the strangest kind of friendship because Nightcrawler was a man of profound faith; deeply introspective, shy, and conscientious almost to a fault. And Wolverine is, well, Wolverine! Truly an odd couple. The interplay between one who is a cold-blooded killer at heart and the other with strong convictions against violence and a hyper-active conscience made for some eye-opening discourses. But perhaps that's because I find each of these characters to be such an important part of my own psyche.

Lol, sorry I am not that original, i am a Led Zeppelin fan, but unfortunately it is only my name...James Pickering... sorry to be boring!

LOL, I am a diehard Led Zeppelin fan. That would be great if I had those initials :smile:.

And no need to apologize. You're being yourself and you're posting in the X-Men thread. That says enough!

I don't know what happened to Morph in the movies but, in the books, Nightcrawler was the only person other than Morph with whom Wolverine ever formed a really close bond. But it was the strangest kind of friendship because Nightcrawler was a man of profound faith; deeply introspective, shy, and conscientious almost to a fault. And Wolverine is, well, Wolverine! Truly an odd couple. The interplay between one who is a cold-blooded killer at heart and the other with strong convictions against violence and a hyper-active conscience made for some eye-opening discourses. But perhaps that's because I find each of these characters to be such an important part of my own psyche.

Yes, in the comic book series Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Wolverine would fight along side each other on MANY occasions. I think it's the differences that really made it a truly interesting friendship.

When you think about it, the X-Men is really like a soap opera. You have the love stories (Jean and Scott, Wolverine and Deathstrike, etc.), the friendships (Wolverine and Nightcrawler), and the action (no example needed).

I luv X-men in all of it's forms. The origional cartoon series, the comic book, the two movies, they should include Gambit in the movies. The series on cartoon network x-men evolution. If it has anything to do with xmen then I luv it. ROGUE ROCKS!

Got to agree with Sting: Kelly Hu is a great reason to love it all.

Adam,

Did you ever see the Entertainment issue (the one with Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry as Wolverine and Storm respectively)? I can't remember the date of the issue (give me some time) but it had this literally breathtaking picture of Kelly Hu as Lady Deathstrike. <drool>

If I were Wolverine, my thinking would be: "screw Jean Grey. Deathstrike, want to go for some sushi and a movie? My treat?"

Nope, didn't see it. But she's a gorgeous woman.

My favorite X-Men is Dr. Hank McCoy aka Beast.

He actually makes a short little appearance in X-2 the movie. It shows him on T.V being interviewed or something, it is when he is not in the Beast form but has his Deformed Hands. In the Cartoon he was cool, liked the way he talked.

I quite liked how Nightcrawler was always trying to tell people about his days in the circus. :D

1. What is the main message of "X-Men: Love or Hate?"

The main message of "X-Men: Love or Hate" is that love and hate are two powerful forces that can shape our actions and relationships. The X-Men, who are mutants with special abilities, are often feared and hated by society, but they also have a strong bond of love and loyalty towards each other.

2. Is "X-Men: Love or Hate" a scientifically accurate portrayal of mutants?

No, "X-Men: Love or Hate" is a work of fiction and does not accurately portray mutants from a scientific perspective. Mutations, or changes in genetic material, do occur in real life, but they are usually small and can have both positive and negative effects. The mutations depicted in the X-Men franchise are exaggerated and often portrayed as superpowers.

3. What are some examples of love and hate in the X-Men franchise?

Some examples of love in the X-Men franchise include the strong bond and love between the members of the X-Men team, the romantic relationships between characters such as Cyclops and Jean Grey, and the love and acceptance that Professor Xavier shows towards all mutants. Examples of hate include the discrimination and fear towards mutants by society and the hatred towards mutants shown by villainous characters such as Magneto.

4. How does the theme of love and hate tie into the larger X-Men universe?

The theme of love and hate is a central and recurring theme in the X-Men universe. It is often used to explore complex relationships between characters and the impact of societal attitudes towards mutants. The struggle between love and hate is also a major factor in the conflicts and motivations of both the heroes and villains in the franchise.

5. What can we learn about love and hate from "X-Men: Love or Hate"?

Through "X-Men: Love or Hate," we can learn that love and hate are powerful emotions that can drive our actions and relationships. It also teaches us that love and acceptance can triumph over hate and discrimination, and that we should not be quick to judge or fear those who are different from us.