The Paradox of Supreme Good: Is It Just a Matter of Perception?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: Godel's theorem is a statement in mathematics that states that any mathematical statement, no matter how seemingly simple, cannot be proved. It is a result of the incompleteness of the axioms of mathematics.
Saint
Or you may call it The Highest Morality.
I was told that no matter how good are you, you can only satisfy some people, and some not satisfied. So, supreme good can never exist.
IS my logic correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think so. Some people's interests are directly opposed to others, so that to make one set happy you automatically make the other set unhappy.

The utilitarians said you should try for the "greatest good of the greatest number." But that is undefined; you have two variables, number and degree of happiness, and the function joining them could have various maxima and minima. There's no guarantee that both would reach a maximum for the same action.

I don't focus on trying to make anybody happy, because that's not my responsibility. I think to the degree that we understand ourselves, then to that degree we know how to be happy ourselves, and then it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. Neither do I think it's possible to be happy be trying to please everyone else, not without being delusional anyway. :smile:

Originally posted by Saint
Or you may call it The Highest Morality.
I was told that no matter how good are you, you can only satisfy some people, and some not satisfied. So, supreme good can never exist.
IS my logic correct?

'Supreme' is a funny word, and in a way I agree that supreme good is impossible. But one could also claim that, relative to the observer, the 'supreme good' is whatever is necessary and proper for his own survival and well being (keeping in mind that helping others would fit into this category because it always comes back to you, or at least makes you feel good about yourself).

I disagree, I think that you merely proved that given a number a choices, it is impossible to tell what is truly the best, you can only decide what you think is best. I do believe that in any given nontrivial circumstance there is only one right and who cares how many wrongs. I think a variation/implication of Godel's incompleteness theorem proves this.

A cat (aspecialy mine).

Originally posted by Jonathan
I disagree, I think that you merely proved that given a number a choices, it is impossible to tell what is truly the best, you can only decide what you think is best. I do believe that in any given nontrivial circumstance there is only one right and who cares how many wrongs. I think a variation/implication of Godel's incompleteness theorem proves this.

Yes, but who decides what's right and what's wrong? All right and wrong would be relative to the person deciding, would it not? What is right for one person would be wrong to another, and thus supreme good is relative to the individual, and outside the human perception the words good, bad, right, and wrong are simply inapplicable.

I don't see how Godel's theorem would prove what you said, please elaborate.

1. What is the concept of Supreme Good?

The concept of Supreme Good is a philosophical and ethical idea that refers to the ultimate goal or highest good that one should strive for in life. It is often associated with ideas of happiness, fulfillment, and moral excellence.

2. How is Supreme Good different from other concepts of good?

Supreme Good is different from other concepts of good because it is seen as the ultimate or highest good, rather than just one aspect of good. It is also often considered to be a universal and objective concept, rather than subjective and individual.

3. Is Supreme Good a subjective or objective concept?

The idea of Supreme Good can be seen as both subjective and objective. It is subjective in the sense that each individual may have a different interpretation of what the ultimate good is. However, it is also considered to be objective in the sense that it is seen as a universal and ideal concept that transcends personal beliefs and opinions.

4. Can Supreme Good be achieved?

There is much debate about whether Supreme Good can be fully achieved in life. Some argue that it is a constant pursuit and that one can always strive to better themselves and reach closer to the ultimate good. Others believe that it is unattainable and that the pursuit of Supreme Good is more important than actually achieving it.

5. How does one determine what the Supreme Good is?

Determining the Supreme Good is a complex and ongoing philosophical debate. Some believe that it can be found through reason and logic, while others argue that it is a personal and subjective concept. Many also look to religious or spiritual beliefs for guidance on what the ultimate good may be.