Revalidation to practice engineering in the USA

In summary: USA for a while?When my dad came from South America as a Mechanical Engineer, no one hired him. He didnt take the PE, his university is not ABET accredited. He worked for over 20 years as an ME at a sugar factory. But when he came to USA, he got nothing :frown:Your friend may very well hold an engineering position, but he will not be licensed. The majority of engineers in the US are not licensed PEs.
Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
I'm not sure where this thread should be, but if it in the wrong place, i apologize.

One of my friends who is a civil engineering is planning to practice in the USA, but there's some sort of revalidation exam they have to take. Does anybody has ANY information about this, for foreign engineers, especifically foreign civil engineers?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cyclovenom said:
I'm not sure where this thread should be, but if it in the wrong place, i apologize.

One of my friends who is a civil engineering is planning to practice in the USA, but there's some sort of revalidation exam they have to take. Does anybody has ANY information about this, for foreign engineers, especifically foreign civil engineers?

Thanks in advance.

Try this link:

http://www.nspe.org/licmanual/home.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
The person will probably need to take the Professional Engineer certification exam for whichever state he or she is moving to.

Here is some info on taking the Professional Engineer certification exam.
http://www.ncees.org/licensure/licensure_for_engineers/

It says that you must graduate from ABET-accredited engineering program. Isnt ABET only in the USA??

When my dad came from South America as a Mechanical Engineer, no one hired him. He didnt take the PE, his university is not ABET accredited. He worked for over 20 years as an ME at a sugar factory. But when he came to USA, he got nothing :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyclovenom said:
Was you friend in a position that would be considered licensed? If so, there may be ways to go about reexamination for your particular state.

From the NSPE site:
Are there other ways of qualifying to take the examination other than through an approved engineering degree?
A. Each state has a different method of weighing unapproved engineering study, four-year engineering technology programs, four-year study in a science related to engineering, graduate study in engineering, the teaching of engineering, and engineering experience. In addition, each state has its own rule regarding licensure through long-established practice, licensure by eminence, and licensure without examination. You should consult each state's rules for its individual requirements.

I can say that I have known a couple of foreign engineers that have moved here. One in particular said he was considered a professional engineer in his country. He mentioned quite a few issues with getting a license in NY where I was living at the time. Personally, I had no issues with what he said he was supposed to go through because I had first hand knowledge of his engineering skills. The one thing he had the most heartburn over was having to take an english as a second language test. He thought that was pure harassment. To me it was an annoyance at the worst.

- Check with your specific state for it's own regulations.
- Don't take this process personally. There HAS to be a way for the US to maintain a standard for all engineers. If one wants/needs licensure bad enough, they will do whatever they need to to obtain it.

Well my friend is a senior, he hasn't graduated yet (but in a few months he will be), but he's planning on moving to the USA. I imagine if he has the engineering title that would be enough, no? or does he needs a year or more of experience in field?

Cyclovenom said:
Well my friend is a senior, he hasn't graduated yet (but in a few months he will be), but he's planning on moving to the USA. I imagine if he has the engineering title that would be enough, no? or does he needs a year or more of experience in field?
With all cerrtainty I can tell you NO. Graduating with a degree and getting licensed as a professional engineer are two very different things. I would suggest that your friend read up on what is the basic requirements for a PE here in the states. One of the requirements is at least 4 years experience working under an already licensed PE.

Your friend may very well hold an engineering position, but he will not be licensed. The majority of engineers in the US are not licensed PEs.

EDIT: You know, I just went back to re read your original post. I immediately took it to mean that your friend was looking at licensure, not simply entering the workforce. If that is the case, then things may be drastically different. I will have to check up on that. Even if he does have to take a test, wouldn't it be more than worth his time and effort to do so?

Last edited:
I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking the tests, and yes he wants to enter the workforce.

Related to Revalidation to practice engineering in the USA

1. What is revalidation to practice engineering in the USA?

Revalidation is the process of verifying and updating an individual's qualifications and credentials in order to practice engineering in the United States. This is typically required for foreign-educated engineers who wish to work in the US.

2. Who needs to go through the revalidation process?

Foreign-educated engineers who have obtained their engineering degree outside of the United States and wish to work as a licensed engineer in the US will need to go through the revalidation process.

3. What are the steps involved in the revalidation process?

The steps in the revalidation process may vary depending on the state in which you wish to practice engineering, but generally include submitting an application, providing documentation of your education and work experience, and passing an engineering exam.

4. How long does the revalidation process take?

The length of the revalidation process can vary depending on the individual's qualifications and the state in which they wish to practice. It can take anywhere from a few months to a year to complete.

5. Can I still work as an engineer in the US if I do not go through the revalidation process?

No, in order to work as a licensed engineer in the US, it is necessary to go through the revalidation process and obtain a license from the state in which you wish to practice. Working as an engineer without a license is illegal and can result in penalties.