Retarded Central Force Problem in Classical Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of a classical treatment for the retarded central force problem, specifically with potentials of type V(|x-x'|) and the special case V(|x-x'|)=1/|x-x'|. The person is looking for recommendations for books or articles on this topic, but not the Lienard-Wiechert potentials in classical electromagnetism. The person also mentions Spivak's Mechanics for Mathematicians and the difficulty in finding a full treatment of the retarded two-body problem due to its highly non-linear nature. They express interest in any findings on this topic.
fermi
There are many good treatments of the classical central force problem in many undergraduate and graduate textbooks. But I was unable to find a similar treatment of the retarded central force problem. I am looking for the classical treatment of the potentials of type:
[tex] \delta(t'-t + |\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'|/c) V({|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'|}) [/tex]
I will be also happy with the treatment of a special case with:
[tex]V({|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'|}) = \frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'|} [/tex]
Can anybody recommend a good book or a published article?

Thank you. :smile:

PS: Please do not refer me to the Lienard-Wiechert potentials in classical electromagnetism. They only treat the case when one of the particle's position (path) is given (and unaltered by the other particle.) I am looking for the dynamic interaction of a two-body-system.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just finished Spivak's Mechanics for Mathematicians, and there was a good treatment of central force / two-body problems, and of wave propagation (presumably you mean this central "force" is derivable from a central potential that propagates from sources as a wave?)...but as far as the full retarded two-body problem goes, I don't think I have seen any treatments of that (even neglecting energy loss through radiation)...my understanding is it would be a highly non-linear equation, if an analytic solution could even be derived.

In fact, I don't think I've ever even seen a full treatment of the retarded *one* body problem; when researching another question here I did track down a long-OOP textbook on Google books that gave a pictorial analysis of what it would look like, and showed how the self-field forces would cancel for a rigid sphere with zero jerk, but nothing like an equation of motion.

I would be really interested in hearing if you find anything, though (provided I properly understand the question).

Related to Retarded Central Force Problem in Classical Physics

1. What is the Retarded Central Force Problem in Classical Physics?

The Retarded Central Force Problem is a theoretical problem in classical physics that involves the motion of a particle under the influence of a central force that varies with time. This problem is also known as the "retarded motion problem" because the force acting on the particle is not instantaneous, but rather takes time to reach the particle from its source.

2. What is the significance of studying the Retarded Central Force Problem?

Studying the Retarded Central Force Problem allows us to understand the effects of delayed forces in classical mechanics. It also has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and celestial mechanics, where the motion of objects under the influence of time-varying forces is a common occurrence.

3. How is the Retarded Central Force Problem different from the standard Central Force Problem?

In the standard Central Force Problem, the force acting on a particle is assumed to be instantaneous and does not depend on the particle's position at a previous time. In contrast, the Retarded Central Force Problem takes into account the time it takes for the force to reach the particle, resulting in a delayed effect on the particle's motion.

4. What are some examples of systems that can be modeled using the Retarded Central Force Problem?

One example is the motion of a satellite under the influence of the Earth's gravitational force, which is not instantaneous but takes time to reach the satellite. Another example is the motion of a planet under the influence of a time-varying gravitational force from its parent star, such as in the case of a binary star system.

5. What are some techniques used to solve the Retarded Central Force Problem?

One technique is to use Taylor series expansion to approximate the position and velocity of the particle at different time intervals. Another approach is to use numerical methods such as the Runge-Kutta method to solve the differential equations that describe the particle's motion. Additionally, certain symmetries in the problem, such as conservation of angular momentum, can be exploited to simplify the calculations.