Resurrecting a previous post. Coprime mod n implies coprime-ish mod n.

• MHB
  • Thread starter caffeinemachine
  • Start date
In summary: So, I am not sure how to use the fact that $ax+by=\gamma$ has a solution.In summary, the conversation discusses whether there exist integers $a'$, $b'$, $p'$, and $q'$ such that $a'p'+b'q'=1$ and $x'=x\text{ mod }n$ for $x\in\{a, b, p, q\}$, given that $ap+bq=1\text{ mod }n$ and $\gcd(a, b)=1$. It is shown that such integers do exist when $\gcd(a, b)=1$, but it is uncertain what happens when $\gcd(a, b)\neq 1$.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
This was a question posted a long time ago by Swlabr but somehow the thread died.
Let $a$ and $b$ be two integers such that there exists integers $p$, $q$ with $ap+bq=1\text{ mod }n$. Do there exist integers $a^{\prime}$ $b^{\prime}$, $p^{\prime}$ and $q^{\prime}$ such that, $x^{\prime}=x\text{ mod }n$ for $x\in\{a, b, p, q\}$ and, $$a^{\prime}p^{\prime}+b^{\prime}q^{\prime}=1?$$.This was my response.
If $\gcd (a,b)=1$ then yes.

$ap+bq \equiv 1 \mod n$ means there exist integer $\gamma$ such that $ap + bq+n \gamma =1$ . If $\gcd (a, b)=1$ then $\exists k_1, k_2$ such that

$ak_1+bk_2=\gamma$.

Take $a{'} =a, b{'}=b, p{'}=p+nk_1, q{'}=q+nk_2$

Then $a{'}b{'} +b{'}q{'}=1$

I am not sure what happens when $\gcd (a,b) \neq 1$.

Ideas anyone?

The original thread is http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f15/coprime-mod-%24n%24-implies-coprime-ish-mod-%24n%24-624/#post3495

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: ressurecting a previous post. Coprime mod $n$ implies coprime-ish mod $n$.

Here's what I think,
From $ap + bq+n \gamma =1$, it's evident that $(a,b)$ is coprime to $\gamma$. Then I look for solutions in the form $p'=p+nx$,$q'=q+ny$, so if we want $ap'+bq'=1$ we are led to $ax+by=\gamma$, which has a solution.

Re: ressurecting a previous post. Coprime mod $n$ implies coprime-ish mod $n$.

melese said:
Here's what I think,
From $ap + bq+n \gamma =1$, it's evident that $(a,b)$ is coprime to $\gamma$. Then I look for solutions in the form $p'=p+nx$,$q'=q+ny$, so if we want $ap'+bq'=1$ we are led to $ax+by=\gamma$, which has a solution.
Hey melese! You have helped me a lot at MHF(I used abhishekkgp as my nick there). Thanks for showing interest in this thread.

Now, from what I understand you use the fact that $ax+by=\gamma$ has a solution. Ok.. I'll assume, for the moment, that it does. Write $g=\gcd(a,b)$. This would mean that $g| \gamma$. But from $ap+bq+n\gamma=1$ we'd have $g|1$ as $g$ divides $a,b$ and $\gamma$. This would force that $\gcd(a,b)=1$ which is not a necessity in the hypothesis.

Related to Resurrecting a previous post. Coprime mod n implies coprime-ish mod n.

1. What does it mean for two numbers to be coprime mod n?

Two numbers are considered coprime mod n if their greatest common divisor (GCD) is equal to 1 when taken modulo n. In other words, there is no common factor between the two numbers when divided by n.

2. How does being coprime mod n relate to being coprime-ish mod n?

If two numbers are coprime mod n, then they are automatically coprime-ish mod n. However, the converse is not necessarily true. Coprime-ish mod n means that the GCD of the two numbers modulo n is either 1 or a small number that does not have any common prime factors with n.

3. Can two numbers that are not coprime mod n be coprime-ish mod n?

Yes, it is possible for two numbers to be coprime-ish mod n even if they are not coprime mod n. For example, if n=10 and the two numbers are 15 and 25, they are not coprime mod 10 (since their GCD is 5), but they are coprime-ish mod 10 (since their GCD is 5, which is relatively small and does not have any common prime factors with 10).

4. How does being coprime mod n affect the solutions to modular equations?

If two numbers are coprime mod n, then any solution to a modular equation involving those numbers will also be a solution when reduced modulo n. This is because the modular inverse of one number exists in mod n, allowing for the equation to be solved.

5. Are there any other implications of two numbers being coprime mod n?

Yes, there are various other implications of two numbers being coprime mod n. For example, if n is a prime number, then any number that is relatively prime to n must be a primitive root mod n. Additionally, if two numbers are coprime mod n, then their product will also be coprime mod n.