Resuming Math Studies After 9 Years: Advice Wanted

In summary, the speaker wants to resume studying mathematics after a 9-year break and is seeking guidance. They have a bachelor's degree in mathematics and a master's degree in computers. They are unsure of where to start and ask for suggestions between abstract algebra and analytical geometry. The listener suggests that analytical geometry may be more practical for a programmer while abstract algebra may be more challenging. The speaker is open to other suggestions.
ptanmoy
Hi,
I want to resume my study of mathematics after a period of 9 years. SO i need your help and guidance.
I have done a bachelors with specialization in Mathematics and later on I went to study Masters in Computers. So I am quite a out of touch with maths.

So can u please anyone suggest from where shall I start? Abstract Algebra or Analytical Geometry?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pick one you like. It doesn't really matter.

Analytical geometry is more practical for a programmer. Abstract algebra will probably be more challenging, though.

Thanks Much Tac-Tics. But am not confined to those 2 subjects only..Anyone suggests any other topic apart from Geometry or Algebra?

Related to Resuming Math Studies After 9 Years: Advice Wanted

1. Can I still catch up on the material after such a long break from math studies?

Yes, it is absolutely possible to catch up on the material after a long break from math studies. While it may take some time and effort, with dedication and consistent practice, you can regain your math skills and knowledge.

2. How should I start studying math again after 9 years?

I recommend starting by reviewing the basics and working your way up. This will help refresh your memory and build a strong foundation for more advanced topics. Also, consider seeking help from a tutor or taking a refresher course to get back into the swing of things.

3. Will my previous math knowledge still be applicable?

It is likely that some of your previous math knowledge will still be applicable, but it is important to review and refresh your understanding of concepts and techniques. Math is a subject that builds upon itself, so it is important to have a strong foundation before moving on to more complex topics.

4. How can I stay motivated and avoid feeling overwhelmed?

One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals for yourself and celebrate your successes along the way. It is also important to take breaks and not push yourself too hard. If you are feeling overwhelmed, don't hesitate to seek support from friends, family, or a tutor.

5. Are there any resources or strategies that can help me catch up faster?

There are many resources and strategies that can help you catch up faster. Some helpful resources include online tutorials, practice problems, and textbooks. Additionally, try to find a study method that works best for you, whether it's visual aids, practice problems, or group study sessions.