Resume Dilemma with 1st B.A. Degree

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter bombastic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Resume
In summary, the individual is pursuing a second degree in engineering after receiving a B.A. in the liberal arts and has some graduate-level credits. They are concerned about finding work experience while in school and worry that their degree may be seen as a liability on their resume. They have a year of relevant work experience as a research assistant and are unsure of the best way to showcase their education and experience. It is suggested to tailor the resume to the specific job and seek guidance from the school's job placement and career services office.
bombastic
Long story short, I'm pursuing a second degree (u.s.) in engineering after having received my B.A. in the liberal arts. I also have some graduate-level credits.

My concern right now is getting some work experience while in school. I do have some technical skills under my belt, but I'm worried that degree may actually be a liability on my resume. Putting myself into the shoes of a potential employer, even one simply hiring for a student/part-time position, I might question the motivations of someone like myself, and simply pass the application up for someone a bit younger.

I've thought about only putting the most recent education on any apps and my resume, but I have a solid year of relevant work experience coming from being a research assistant at my previous university. Maybe I could list skills/objectives first and put education last?

So, I have a dilemma. How can I best highlight my recent educational experience while maximizing the benefits of having that B.A.? Should I just lay my hopes on the whims of a hiring manager letting me into an interview where I can explain and justify my varied experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why a liberal arts degree would be a liability. Passing you up for someone younger (by the 4 years) is highly unlikely unless you're applying for something like 'go-go dancer.' You've obviously decided to pursue something else, but having a degree will demonstrate (a) that you're a well-rounded individual, and (b) compared to other 'students' who may be competing for the position you have a demostrated ability to achieve your goals.

A resume should be specifically tailored to the position you're applying for. Naturally you want to highlight the most relevant qualifications first. Your school's job placement and career services office will likely be able to suggest the best format for a particular job.

First of all, congratulations on pursuing a second degree in engineering! This shows a strong determination and passion for your field of interest. I understand the dilemma you are facing with your resume and the concern about having a liberal arts degree as a potential liability.

My suggestion would be to highlight your technical skills and relevant work experience first on your resume, followed by your most recent education. This way, the employer will immediately see your qualifications and experience in the engineering field before noticing your liberal arts degree. You can also mention your graduate-level credits and any relevant coursework or projects you have completed in your engineering program.

In terms of addressing your liberal arts degree, you can use this as an opportunity to showcase your diverse background and how it has contributed to your skills and interests in engineering. Employers often value candidates with a well-rounded education and diverse skillset. Additionally, you can mention how your liberal arts degree has helped you develop critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills, which are essential in the engineering field.

Furthermore, don't underestimate the value of your research assistant experience. This shows your hands-on experience in a scientific setting and can be a valuable asset to any employer. Make sure to highlight any relevant skills or accomplishments from this role on your resume.

Overall, my advice would be to be transparent and confident in your resume and during interviews. Emphasize your technical skills, relevant work experience, and diverse educational background to showcase your strengths as a candidate. Best of luck in your job search!

Related to Resume Dilemma with 1st B.A. Degree

1. What is a "Resume Dilemma with 1st B.A. Degree"?

A "Resume Dilemma with 1st B.A. Degree" refers to the situation where an individual has completed their first Bachelor's degree, but is unsure of how to effectively showcase it on their resume.

2. How can I effectively highlight my first Bachelor's degree on my resume?

One way to highlight your first Bachelor's degree is by including it in the "Education" section of your resume. Be sure to include the name of the institution, degree earned, major, and any relevant coursework or honors. You can also mention any relevant skills or experiences gained during your studies.

3. Should I include my first Bachelor's degree if it is not related to my current field?

Yes, it is still important to include your first Bachelor's degree on your resume, even if it is not directly related to your current field. This shows that you have a well-rounded education and can bring a diverse set of skills to the table.

4. Can I list my first Bachelor's degree as "in progress" if I have not completed it yet?

No, it is not recommended to list a degree as "in progress" if you have not completed it yet. Instead, you can mention the expected graduation date or list the degree as "anticipated" to indicate that you are currently working towards it.

5. How can I explain a gap in my education if I have not completed my first Bachelor's degree yet?

You can explain a gap in your education by mentioning any relevant experiences or skills gained during that time, such as internships, volunteer work, or additional courses. You can also mention any personal circumstances that may have caused the gap, but be sure to keep it brief and professional.