Resulting state vector interpretation

In summary, if an operator A operates on a state described by a vector x, the result is a new state vector y which is considered to be in the same vector space as x. However, if A is a unitary operator, then physical interpretation is available, and y represents the state after time has elapsed.
If we have an operator A which operates on some state described by vector x the result is a new vector y
A |x> = |y>

My question is: is the new vector y considered to be a different state vector in the same vector space as x or is it considered to be a vector in an entirely different vector space? If the former then what does that new vector represent (I would assume a new state of the system after the operator)? If the latter then what does that new vector space represent?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaleSpam said:
If we have an operator A which operates on some state described by vector x the result is a new vector y
A |x> = |y>

My question is: is the new vector y considered to be a different state vector in the same vector space as x or is it considered to be a vector in an entirely different vector space? If the former then what does that new vector represent (I would assume a new state of the system after the operator)? If the latter then what does that new vector space represent?

The answer depends on the type of operator A.

If A is a Hermitian operator of observable (e.g., A = H, the Hamiltonian), then vector |y> has no physical intepretation.

However, if A is a unitary operator, then physical interpretation is available. For example, if A = exp(-iHt) = the operator of time translation, then |y> = exp(-iHt)|x> is the state vector of the system after time t has elapsed.

meopemuk said:
If A is a Hermitian operator of observable (e.g., A = H, the Hamiltonian), then [in general the] vector |y> has no physical intepretation [at least none which follow directly from the standard postulates of quantum mechanics].

I filled in the [] phrases because it is a frequently used fact that if |0> and |1> are the spin down and spin up eigenstates of the pauli operator Z, then X |0> = |1> and X |1> = |0> where X is the pauli x operator. This is more than a coincidence and it plays a big role in e.g. quantum spin chains, but it follows more from the nature of the su(2) algebra spanned by the pauli operators than it does from QM itself.

DaleSpam said:
My question is: is the new vector y considered to be a different state vector in the same vector space as x or is it considered to be a vector in an entirely different vector space?
It's in the same vector space. The only exception I can think of is creation and annihilation operators, which change the number of particles. And even in that case, it's a matter of how you look at it. Both the |x> and the |y> are in the Fock space, but |x> is in the subspace of n-particle states while |y> is in the subspace of (n+1)-particle states (or n-1).

Last edited:
Thanks! I found these very helpful.

Related to Resulting state vector interpretation

1. What is a resulting state vector?

A resulting state vector is a mathematical representation of the state of a quantum system after a measurement has been made. It contains information about the possible outcomes of the measurement and the probabilities of each outcome.

2. How is a resulting state vector interpreted?

The resulting state vector is interpreted using the principles of quantum mechanics. It represents the state of the system in terms of superposition, meaning that the system can exist in multiple states simultaneously until a measurement is made.

3. Can a resulting state vector be used to predict the outcome of a measurement?

No, a resulting state vector cannot be used to predict the outcome of a measurement. It only provides information about the probabilities of different outcomes, and the actual outcome of a measurement is determined randomly.

4. How does the measurement process affect the resulting state vector?

The measurement process causes the resulting state vector to collapse into one of its possible states. This is known as the collapse of the wave function and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

5. Is the resulting state vector interpretation the only way to understand quantum mechanics?

No, the resulting state vector interpretation is just one of several interpretations of quantum mechanics. Other interpretations include the Copenhagen interpretation and the Many-Worlds interpretation.