Resultant Force of Two Applied Forces on a Car

In summary, we have two forces, 489 N at 11◦ and 444 N at 25◦, applied to a car in an effort to accelerate it. In order to find the magnitude of the resultant of these two forces, we need to sum the components of the forces in the x and y directions. Using the rule of cosines, we can determine the correct angles and compute the x and y components. Finally, we can find the magnitude of the resultant by squaring the x and y components, adding them, and taking the square root.
sparky450r
Two forces, 489 N at 11

and 444 N at 25

are
applied to a car in an effort to accelerate it What is the magnitude of the resultant of
these two forces?
Answer in units of N.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
hi sparky450r! welcome to pf! :wink:

components should do it …

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Problem shouldn't be that hard. I have done examples identical to this and got them correct but the computer won't accept my answer for this one!

First I summed X and Y

x=356cos(9) + 313sin(26)

and y
y=356sin(9) + 313cos26

Then I squared these two values, added them, and took the square root.

all wrong! :cry::rolleyes::mad:

Last edited:

why do you use sin for the first term and cos for the second term in the equaton for x?
you seem to use different number than in the first image.

make a drawing of the forces and the components, so you can see in which direction they point and when you have to add and when to subtract them

willem2 said:
why do you use sin for the first term and cos for the second term in the equaton for x?
you seem to use different number than in the first image.

make a drawing of the forces and the components, so you can see in which direction they point and when you have to add and when to subtract them

Yea sorry I was doing a different version of the problem in my last post.

So assuming we are using the first picture...how would I know when to add and subtract and which go in the X equation and the Y because I am obviously missing something here.

hi sparky450r! :wink:
sparky450r said:
x=356cos(9) + 313sin(26)

and y
y=356sin(9) + 313cos26
willem2 said:
sparky450r said:
...how would I know when to add and subtract and which go in the X equation and the Y because I am obviously missing something here.

as willem2 :smile: points out, your cos and sin are getting confused

the rule is …

it is always always ALWAYS cos, of the angle between the force and the direction of the component …​

the only time it looks like sin is when the angle you're given is the "wrong" angle, ie 90° minus the correct angle …

in that case, it's still cos, but it's cos(90° - the angle), ie sin :biggrin:

so in this case, are the named angles of 11° and 25° the "correct" angles, or not? if they are, then use cos :smile:

Are you saying use cos to compute both x's and both y's. no sin?

sparky450r said:

And yes they are correct angles.

sparky450r said:

for the x direction, use cos of the angle between the two forces and the x direction

for the y direction, use cos of the angle between the two forces and the y direction

Ok, finally got it.

Y=356sin9-313sin26
X=356cos9+313cos26

These values are for the latter problem that I posted. Not the first one.

sparky450r said:
Y=356sin9-313sin26
X=356cos9+313cos26

yes that's it! :smile:

(and then of course the squarey thing to find the magnitude :wink:)

Related to Resultant Force of Two Applied Forces on a Car

1. What is the resultant force of two applied forces on a car?

The resultant force of two applied forces on a car is the single force that has the same effect on the car as the two original forces combined. It is the vector sum of the two forces, taking into account their magnitude and direction.

2. How is the resultant force calculated?

The resultant force can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem or by using the parallelogram method. The Pythagorean theorem involves finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the two forces. The parallelogram method involves drawing a parallelogram using the two forces as adjacent sides, and the diagonal of the parallelogram represents the resultant force.

3. What factors can affect the resultant force on a car?

The magnitude and direction of the two applied forces are the main factors that affect the resultant force on a car. Other factors that can influence the resultant force include the geometry and weight distribution of the car, as well as any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How does the resultant force affect the motion of a car?

The resultant force determines the acceleration and direction of the car's motion. If the resultant force is zero, the car will remain at a constant velocity. If the resultant force is non-zero, the car will accelerate in the direction of the resultant force.

5. Can the resultant force be greater than the sum of the two applied forces?

Yes, the resultant force can be greater than the sum of the two applied forces if the forces are acting in different directions. In this case, the resultant force will be the difference between the two forces in the direction of the larger force.