Resultant force from three forces.

In summary, the problem involves finding the resultant of three force vectors, given values for two of the vectors and their angle. Using the equations Fx1cos(theta1)+Fx2cos(theta2)+Fx3cos(theta3)=x and Fy1sin(theta1)+Fy2sin(theta2)+Fy3sin(theta3)=y, the missing angle and resultant can be calculated. The correct angle for the 600N force is 53.13°.
Colts

Homework Statement

http://session.masteringengineering.com/problemAsset/1127110/6/Probs.2-39_40.jpg
I will refer to this picture for the problem.
I have to find the resultant of the three force vectors. I know all except F1 and theta. I am given it for this problem to find the resultant. F1=510N and theta=20 degrees.

Homework Equations

Each theta is the degrees from positive x axis.
Fx1cos(theta1)+Fx2cos(theta2)+Fx3cos(theta3)=x
Fy1sin(theta1)+Fy2sin(theta2)+Fy3sin(theta3)=y
sqrt(x^2+y^2)=answer

The Attempt at a Solution

510cos(70)+600cos(150)+400cos(30)=1.22
510sin(70)+600sin(150)+400sin(30)=979.24
sqrt(1.22^2+979.24^2)=979.24

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

For the 600 N force, the angle is not 150°. Look carefully at the figure again.

The angle for 600N should be 4/5 for the x direction and 3/5 for the y direction. Now how do I find the angle? Thats the next part.

Edit: Nevermind. I got it. Thank you

Related to Resultant force from three forces.

What is the definition of resultant force?

The resultant force is the single force that has the same effect on an object as all the individual forces acting on it combined.

How do you calculate the resultant force from three forces?

To calculate the resultant force from three forces, you can use the mathematical equation: R = F1 + F2 + F3, where R is the resultant force and F1, F2, and F3 are the individual forces.

Can the resultant force be greater than the sum of the individual forces?

Yes, the resultant force can be greater than the sum of the individual forces if the forces are acting in different directions. In this case, the resultant force will be the vector sum of the forces.

What does the direction of the resultant force indicate?

The direction of the resultant force indicates the direction in which the object will move or accelerate.

How can you determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force graphically?

You can determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force graphically by drawing a vector diagram representing each force and then finding the vector sum of the forces using appropriate scale and measurement tools.