Resultant displacement and angle

In summary, the spelunker's resultant displacement from the cave entrance is 443.2m, at an angle of 38.4 degrees north of east. The method used to calculate this was to break down the distances and angles into components, find the individual displacements, and then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the resultant displacement. However, the angle of south should have been -90 degrees instead of 90 degrees.
bearhug
While exploring a cave, a spelunker starts at the entrance and moves the following distances. She goes 69.7 m north, 246.8 m east,127.4 m at an angle 37.8 (degrees) north of east, and 127.4 m south. What is the resultant displacement from the cave enterance? The angle should be positive between 0 and 360.

I drew a diagram not 100% accurate but enough to give me a picture. And the resultant displacement I took to be the distance from point A to point D (start point to end point). The equations I used are as follows:
ax= 69.7 cos(90) ay= 69.7 sin(90) = 0, 69.7
bx= 246.8 cos (0) by= 246.8 sin (0) = 246.8, 0
cx= 127.4 cos(37.8) cy= 127.4 sin(37.8) = 100.7, 78.1
dx= 127.4 cos(90) dy= 127.4 sin(90) = 0, 127.4

I found Rx = 347.5
Ry = 275.2

R = (347.5^2 + 275.2^2)^1/2
= 443.2m to be the resultant displacement

angle = tan= 275.2/347.5= 38.4 degrees

Is this the right method?

Physics news on Phys.org
bearhug said:
The equations I used are as follows:
ax= 69.7 cos(90) ay= 69.7 sin(90) = 0, 69.7
bx= 246.8 cos (0) by= 246.8 sin (0) = 246.8, 0
cx= 127.4 cos(37.8) cy= 127.4 sin(37.8) = 100.7, 78.1
dx= 127.4 cos(90) dy= 127.4 sin(90) = 0, 127.4
Rewrite that last equation. If "north" is at an angle of 90 degrees, then south must be directly opposite, which is 270 degrees (or -90 degrees).

(Other than that error, your method looks just fine.)

Last edited:

I cannot confirm if your method is correct without knowing the specific context and assumptions of your diagram and equations. However, in general, the resultant displacement can be calculated by adding the individual displacements using vector addition. This involves breaking down each displacement into its vertical and horizontal components, adding them separately, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant displacement. The angle can then be calculated using trigonometric functions.

Related to Resultant displacement and angle

1. What is resultant displacement?

Resultant displacement is the final displacement or position of an object after undergoing multiple displacements. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each displacement.

2. How is resultant displacement calculated?

To calculate resultant displacement, you can use the Pythagorean theorem or the law of cosines. The Pythagorean theorem is used when the displacements are at right angles to each other, while the law of cosines is used when the displacements are at any angle.

3. What is the difference between resultant displacement and net displacement?

Resultant displacement is the final displacement after multiple displacements have been taken into account, while net displacement is the vector sum of all the individual displacements. Net displacement can also be thought of as the shortest distance between the starting point and the final point.

4. How do you find the angle of resultant displacement?

The angle of resultant displacement can be found using the law of sines or trigonometric functions such as tangent or arctangent. These methods involve using the magnitudes and directions of the individual displacements to determine the angle of the resultant displacement.

5. Why is resultant displacement important in physics?

Resultant displacement is important in physics because it allows us to accurately describe the final position of an object after multiple displacements. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding motion and vectors, which are essential in many areas of physics such as mechanics, electricity, and magnetism.