Math Symbols :pdif: :int: :lcpsi:

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about using math symbols in forums and finding resources to do so. The users suggest various symbols and provide a link to a helpful website for reference. They also discuss the possibility of an equation editor on the forum, but note that it would only be possible when major browsers support MathML.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:pdif:
:int:
:lcpsi:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, that didn't work. I am trying to figure out how to do all the other math symbols. The above works at another forum, and I was guessing that it applies generally.

Does anyone know if there is an online instruction manual on how to do math symbols here? I saw the list of Greek letters, but I'm looking for stuff like partial derivative signs and whatnot. I saw that ObsessiveMathsFreak did some pretty integral signs in one of his posts, but now I can't find it.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

∫ – & int ;
∂ – & part ;
∇ – & nabla ;
≈ – & asymp ;
≡ – & equiv ;
± – & plusmn ;
√ – & radic ;
Want more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ben, I'll add those to the list. I also made the list easier to read and less confusing.

Last edited:
and where is the list? Is there a thread that explains how to do math symbols here?

https://www.physicsforums.com/announcement.php?forumid=2

Last edited:
Groovy.

Ah, I see. Go to the smiley menu and click "get more". You will see everything PF has to offer.

Why do so many symbols on the above site appear as "boxes" on my computer?

i would like to suggest something..

how about an EQUATION EDITOR in Physics Forums? just a thought... :)

How about an equation editor in Physics Forums?

When all the major browsers support MathML, that would make a fine addition.

What does the symbol :pdif: mean?

The symbol :pdif: is typically used in mathematics to represent the partial derivative of a function. It indicates the rate of change of a function with respect to a particular variable.

What is the meaning of the symbol :int:?

The symbol :int: represents the mathematical concept of integration. It is used to calculate the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

What does :lcpsi: stand for?

The symbol :lcpsi: is commonly used in mathematics to represent the Legendre's constant, which is a fundamental constant in number theory that is related to the distribution of prime numbers.

Can the symbols :pdif: and :int: be used interchangeably?

No, these symbols have different meanings and cannot be used interchangeably. :pdif: represents the partial derivative of a function, while :int: represents the mathematical operation of integration.

Where are these symbols commonly used?

These symbols are commonly used in mathematical equations and formulas, particularly in calculus and other branches of mathematics that deal with functions and their derivatives and integrals.