Restoring XP back to yesterday or before.

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, the person's grandson installed something on their XP Pro system that caused it to boot up slowly and run in slow motion. They were unable to find the program in the control panel and attempted to do a system restore, but it did not work. The conversation also includes advice on how to possibly fix the issue, such as disabling add-ons in the browser and using antivirus software. It is also mentioned that XP is reaching its end-of-life and the user may want to consider switching to Ubuntu Linux.
yungman
Hi
My grandson installed something on the computer and it really mess up the computer. It is a XP Pro system. Is there any way to recover the computer to a past date before today?

It boot up after half an hour of self checking, everything is in slow motion. I went into the control panel and can't find what he installed. He said he installed a new Java but I can't find it. I just want to return to this morning!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks, I'll try the restore tomorrow.

Ha ha, my grandson is 13, so getting a new computer out of him is pretty much out of the question!

Thanks

yungman said:
Thanks, I'll try the restore tomorrow.

Ha ha, my grandson is 13, so getting a new computer out of him is pretty much out of the question!

Thanks

Ha ha, How about yardwork or chores?

I got in and tried to restore to a later date, the computer went through the whole work but said it cannot restore to the date I chosen. I tried different dates and still it won't work. What should I do.

If this is just a Java add-on, it should only be affecting your browser. You can go to your browser (like internet explorer, click on tools, manage add-ons, ..., and disable the add-ons you don't want.

If it's some program being launched at startup, click on start, run, "MSCONFIG", and look for the offending program, usually under services or startup, and uncheck it so it's not run.

rcgldr said:
If this is just a Java add-on, it should only be affecting your browser. You can go to your browser (like internet explorer, click on tools, manage add-ons, ..., and disable the add-ons you don't want.

If it's some program being launched at startup, click on start, run, "MSCONFIG", and look for the offending program, usually under services or startup, and uncheck it so it's not run.

Not true, there are some malware java downloads that masquerade as java that could do anything to your machine.

yungman, did you backup up your important files? make sure you do that.

then try reloading XP from a stock MS disk.

Also note that XP has reached end-of-life so there are no more updates from MS to fix vulnerabilities unless they deem it necessary.

Perhaps this would be a good time to switch to Ubuntu Linux, different but similar to Windows with equivalent applications like OpenOffice for MS Office...

yungman said:
What should I do.

Did you log on in safe mode before you tried the restore? The restore will probably fail if it tries to delete a program that is already running.

Or, try booting the computer from your Windows CD, and then try System Restore.

Or, run a scan of your antiviirus software.

Or if you don't have any antivirus software, try http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx

AlephZero said:
No, XP is stil supported until 8 April 2014. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/end-support-help

Thanks, I had heard it ended a couple years ago and now I see there is a graded end of life support timeline:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle

The main stream one was April 2009 which many businesses factored into their plans and then there's the drop dead extended date April 2014 for everyone else.

I think MS was coerced into extending the support due to vulnerabilities and customer migration issues.

Time for Ubuntu Linux.

Related to Restoring XP back to yesterday or before.

1. How do I restore my Windows XP back to a previous date or time?

To restore your Windows XP back to a previous date or time, you can use the System Restore feature. This can be accessed by going to the Start menu, selecting All Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools, and finally clicking on System Restore. From there, you can select a restore point from a calendar and follow the prompts to restore your computer back to that specific date or time.

2. Will restoring my Windows XP to a previous date or time delete any of my files or programs?

No, restoring your Windows XP back to a previous date or time will not delete any of your personal files or programs. However, any changes made to system files or settings after the selected restore point will be reverted.

3. Can I choose a specific date and time to restore my Windows XP back to?

Yes, you can choose a specific date and time to restore your Windows XP back to. System Restore allows you to select any available restore points, which are typically created automatically every day and whenever significant changes are made to your system.

4. Will restoring my Windows XP back to a previous date or time fix any software or hardware issues?

Restoring your Windows XP back to a previous date or time can help fix software issues, but it will not fix any hardware issues. If you are experiencing hardware problems, you may need to consult a professional or contact the manufacturer for support.

5. How far back can I restore my Windows XP using System Restore?

The length of time you can restore your Windows XP back to depends on how often you have allowed System Restore to create restore points. By default, System Restore creates restore points every day, so you can usually restore your computer back to a previous date within the past few weeks.