Response of RC circuit i/v of capacitor help

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the voltage and current of a capacitor after a switch has been moved at t=0. The equations for voltage and current before and after the switch are given, but there is confusion on how to find the voltage at t=0 and how to solve the differential equation for t>0. The conversation suggests using KCL to set up a differential equation and then imposing initial conditions to find the solution.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

2a5fazn.png

after having been in position 1 for a long time, the switch was moved to position 2 at t=0. determine:
a) i-c(0-) and vc(0-)
b) i-c(0) and v-c(0)
c) i-c(infinity) and v-c(infinity)
d) v-c(t) for t>=0
e) i-c(t) for t >=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure how to find voltages/current of capacitor. i have general equations i think though:

for t=0- (before t=0): v(t)= v(0)e^-t/(RC) = 12e^(-t/4)
i(t)= -Vs/R*(e^-t/(RC))= 300uI*e^-t/4

for t=0 (after t=0): not sure exactly how to find v(t) (which i think in this case is also v(infinity)), but i made an attempt:
find voltage across 60k ohm resistor by doing voltage division, 12(60k/(60k+30k))=8V
v(t)=8e^-t/(RC)
not sure how to find the eq. resistance in this one. should i do 30 || 60?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
asdf12312 said:

Homework Statement

2a5fazn.png

after having been in position 1 for a long time, the switch was moved to position 2 at t=0. determine:
a) i-c(0-) and vc(0-)
b) i-c(0) and v-c(0)
c) i-c(infinity) and v-c(infinity)
d) v-c(t) for t>=0
e) i-c(t) for t >=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure how to find voltages/current of capacitor. i have general equations i think though:

for t=0- (before t=0): v(t)= v(0)e^-t/(RC) = 12e^(-t/4)
i(t)= -Vs/R*(e^-t/(RC))= 300uI*e^-t/4

for t=0 (after t=0): not sure how to find v(t) because the 60k(ohm) is not in series with the capacitor.

For t=0-, what is the voltage on the capacitor? The voltage source has been disconnected for a long time...

And for t>0, you should write a KCL equation at the top/middle node, and use the equation that relates the current through the capacitor to the change in voltage across it I = C dv/dt.

Solve the differential equation (you get exponential functions like you indicate), and use the initial condition for the voltage on the cap at t=0-.

berkeman said:
For t=0-, what is the voltage on the capacitor? The voltage source has been disconnected for a long time...

And for t>0, you should write a KCL equation at the top/middle node, and use the equation that relates the current through the capacitor to the change in voltage across it I = C dv/dt.

Solve the differential equation (you get exponential functions like you indicate), and use the initial condition for the voltage on the cap at t=0-.

well then v-c(0-) must be 0V then right? but according to my teacher voltage never changes instantaneously, so v(0-)=v(0)=V(s)=12V so how can this be?

and I do the KCL for the top node for t>=0 like you said but it's turning out to be a mess, think i did it wrong:

(V-12)/30k + V/120k+ V/60k - i(c) = 0
(7/120)V-0.4=C dv/dt
((7/120)V/C)-(0.4/C)=dv/dt
dv/dt - a*(7/120)V + 0.4a = 0 where a=1/C
dv/dt(e^at) - (7/120)av(e^at) + 0.4a(e^at)=0

asdf12312 said:
well then v-c(0-) must be 0V then right? but according to my teacher voltage never changes instantaneously, so v(0-)=v(0)=V(s)=12V so how can this be?

and I do the KCL for the top node for t>=0 like you said but it's turning out to be a mess, think i did it wrong:

(V-12)/30k + V/120k+ V/60k - i(c) = 0
(7/120)V-0.4=C dv/dt
((7/120)V/C)-(0.4/C)=dv/dt
dv/dt - a*(7/120)V + 0.4a = 0 where a=1/C
dv/dt(e^at) - (7/120)av(e^at) + 0.4a(e^at)=0

Correct that Vc(t=0-)=0V. And also correct that the voltage across a capacitor cannot change instantaneously.

After the switch changes at t=0, the 120k resistor is out of the picture, so delete it from your KCL.

Once you have your Differential Equation (without the 120k), what solution are you assuming for the V(t)? And what is the derivative of that V(t)? If you could make it a bit more clear how you are solving the DE and imposing the initial conditions, that would help.

yes youre right, my mistake. (V-12)/30k+V/60k=i(C)
(1/20)V-0.4=C(dv/dt)
dividing both sides by C: (1/20)V/C - 0.4/C = dv/dt
dv/dt - (1/20)av + 0.4a = 0 where a=1/C
multiply both sides by e^at: (dv/dt)e^at - (0.05av)e^at + (0.4a)e^at=0

i think this is right, but i have no idea how to simplify or differentiate this.

Related to Response of RC circuit i/v of capacitor help

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a circuit consisting of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electric current.

2. How does a capacitor behave in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, a capacitor behaves as a temporary energy storage device. It charges up when connected to a power source and discharges when the power source is removed. This behavior is due to the capacitor's ability to store charge on its plates.

3. What is the response of an RC circuit?

The response of an RC circuit refers to the behavior of the circuit when it is subjected to a change in voltage or current. This response is characterized by the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge, as well as the amplitude and shape of the resulting voltage or current wave.

4. How is the response of an RC circuit calculated?

The response of an RC circuit can be calculated using the equations for the charging and discharging of a capacitor. These equations take into account the values of the resistor and capacitor in the circuit, as well as the initial voltage and the time elapsed since the circuit was connected to a power source.

5. How does the value of the resistor and capacitor affect the response of an RC circuit?

The value of the resistor and capacitor in an RC circuit determines the time constant of the circuit, which is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to a certain percentage of the power source voltage. A larger resistor value will result in a longer time constant, while a larger capacitor value will result in a shorter time constant.